What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Started at 7 on a flugelhorn, not sure of make as it was an old one. Im now 19 and play on the only trumpet i ever owned, a Jupiter 600M.

2. gwie

gwie New Friend

Jan 7, 2009
    Started last year at age thirty-one! First horn was an Eastman 520GS, but I found a Yamaha 8310Z much more to my liking and it's the horn I'm sticking with. :)

3. wfranklin

wfranklin New Friend

Jun 22, 2009
    This year; 54.

4. Higgiq

Higgiq New Friend

Oct 12, 2009
    I started in 6th grade age 11. Took me 2 years to convince my parents I really wanted to play trumpet. I made the ultimate sacrifice and said I would even play my dad's old trumpet instead of them getting me a new one. (It is a Mt. Vernon Bach). They got me a student model. Played till I was in my late 20's. Did some other things. Started playing again last year at 47. Having fun!

5. VAN

VAN New Friend

Jul 28, 2009
    Pompano Beach
    I started at age 10 all through college then picked the horn back up after 25 yrs and now wish I would have kept playing! Get married kids I never had time to play.

6. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Started at 7.

7. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Started in 6th grade, first trumpet was piece of crap no name trumpet :(.

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I just got my old horn out and I was a little mistaken (I'm 52 years old). It was the lead pipe that rotted out. It's a Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced built in the '50s or early '60s, hard to tell by the serial number because of the fire at the Getzen plant. The serial number is 56894. It was a sweet sounding horn until one of the kids in the band dropped it and smashed the bell in. Then whoever hammered the bell out finished ruining it.

9. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

I started playing my dad's horn and piano when I was three. My dad's old horn was an Olds Ambassador. I inherited a King Liberty C/Bb/A trumpet when my uncle died in 1960. My life wasn't complete until I got my first contra-alto trumpet (low F horn). I still play the modern thingie in its various incarnations, but the big trumpet is what gets my mojo going.

10. jbrian50

jbrian50 New Friend

Jul 1, 2009
    Madison, Mississippi
    Started in the 8th grade on a silver Yamaha 232. Thirty-three years later and now I'm playing a Cleveland Superior. Let's here it for the come-back players!!