What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    Last year 38...love it!

2. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Started in early 1961 at age 9 - 4th grade - Olds Special - still have the horn and the receipt!!!

3. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Started at 11 in 6th grade. Had a cruddy begineer horn. Some "Aristocrat" or something that was real basic begineer horn. It has been the only one I've ever had untill yesterday. Now in
    10th grade and I plan to play untill I die.

4. aburgess

aburgess New Friend

Oct 25, 2009
    Orlando FL
    I started playing at 13 but only for a couple months. Following year I played baritone and then at 15 I was back on trumpet again. It was a crappy Bach beginers horn and I hated that thing. When I was 16 a tuba player stepped on it by accident and the band lent me an old beat up King. It was really brassy and had a great sound. I 'kept' it :cool: I just started playing again recently after a 10 year hiatus:)

5. Gene

Gene New Friend

Sep 22, 2005
    5th Grade
    10 years old
    Conn Director (wish I still had it)
    Stopped at 14 and picked it up again at 56....

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    age 10 (5th grade) - on student conn (everything still works) -quit 20-25, played 25-35 - only reach E above high C on (post UMI King silver Flair - my favorite/current), quit 7 years, back at it for 10 months now --at 45 -- BEST I HAVE EVER BEEN, Can hit E above double C softly and lightly -can play to A above high C
    NEVER QUIT, and if you do, come back, practice, patience, perserverance --its never too late!!!!,
    ken

7. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    Started at age 11, 6th grade. Only year of band "instruction" as my family moved the next year to a town that did not have a junior high band program but I continued to play through college. Just restarted two weeks ago after a 25 year layoff. Loving it.

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I was 11 yrs old, and started on a leaky King Cleveland Superior cornet. A year later I started trumpet lessons and my mom bought me a 1961 Benge from my teacher. That was a great horn - it had belonged to Bobby Shew so it was EXTRA cool! 27 yrs and a few horns later, I'll still never forget the feeling when I got that Benge :)

9. Jon7C

Jon7C New Friend

Dec 3, 2009
    Age 50

King 602 cornet, Yamaha YTR-6335.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Started at age 26 with a Jupiter rental. After 6 months, bought a decent Yamaha with 2 complete sets of C and Bb slides, then got me an old but valiant Couesnon cornet. After 3 studious years, had a long hiatus due to moving to the States and going through numerous life changes. Finally restarted to practice consistently 3 months ago.

Promised myself a new horn if I make noticeable progress after a year. Thinking of a flugel with a V cup MP for the sweet sound but those Selmer TT are awefully sexy too, or a Taylor Chicago custom, or a Kanstul. So many temptations out there...