What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Started playing when I was 11. Just completed my Bachelor's degree, and am about to start my Honours year, with a view to completing a Master's degree in classical performance... I spose I just never worked out how to put the damn horn down! lol!

2. Shmone

Shmone New Friend

Dec 3, 2009
    Israel
    Started playing when I was 9 years old (16 now),
    My first trumpet was a Bach Stradivarius, can't remember the exact model.

3. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    Started at age 11. Played until age 32. Started again at age 50. Played until age 72.
    started again at age 78. Still at it at age 80. Now I practice at least two hours a day, am working thru the Arbans book (with help from Eric Bolvins manual) plus many others and working in a jazz quartet one night a week for the past year. I wish that I could have worked as hard as a kid as I do now. Now I am playing only cornet. Trying to think "pretty"instead of loud and high.Much happier!

4. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    I started in the 4th grade, must have been about 8 or 9. They started you off earlier in Brazil than most of the schools stateside. Yes, BRAZIL, Rio de Janeiro!! What better place to have latin beats and rhythms infused at such an early age!!! GOD how I miss Carnaval!!

5. brendag123

brendag123 New Friend

Nov 10, 2009
    brownsville, texas
    i started playing at the age of 11 6th grade but that wasnt my intro to it
    i played around in 5th grade 10 yrs old... good times
    6 years ago!! lol im still young!!!

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Started and age 12, quit at age 18, started again at age 53 (three months ago).

7. Mark4008

Mark4008 New Friend

May 7, 2009
    Started on my 14th birthday with a B&M Champion rent to buy trumpet, like a lot of you guys I stopped at about 18 and started again, then stopped and started etc until I got to 53 where I am now. I currently play cornet in a local Brass Band and first trumpet in a local concert band.

Bach Strad 37 with Bach 3C
    Antione Cortoise Cornet with Dennis Wick 4B
    Boosey and Hawkes Imperial Flugle

8. eljuanet

eljuanet New Friend

Jun 6, 2008
    Buenos Aires
    i started at 20 now i´m 32 my first horn was a holton st302 Mynard Ferguson.

9. MHS Trumpet 2012

MHS Trumpet 2012 New Friend

Dec 4, 2009
    I started @ 10 years old on a Getzen and still going :play:

10. Learningon

Learningon New Friend

Dec 10, 2009
    I started when I was 7, and have been playing for 7 years! I'm not sure what my first trumpet was, but I think it was an Olds cornet.