What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    I started playing at age 9. My uncle was my teacher. I had to play 1 hour a day. Started on page 1 of the Arban book and went to the last page. Still play a min. of one hour a day. Been playing for 61 years. First horn was a Beuscher. Cost me $24.00
    Regards
    Jake G

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Guess I got a late start in 6th grade (10 years old).

3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Oh yeah, and I only stopped once, from 1984 to 2009.

4. EricMGB1974

EricMGB1974 Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    Elmira, NY
    Started at age 9 with my dad teaching me on his 1957 LeBlanc. My first trumpet 2 years later was a late 60's King Silversonic that the local music store pieced together from a non Silversonic King with a crushed bell and the bell from a Silversonic that was deemed not worth repairing. That was a great looking & sounding horn. Should have never traded it.

5. Xenojoe

Xenojoe New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    I started the trumpet when I was eight and havent stopped since then. My first trumpet was a used yamaha student model and now I play a yamaha Xeno series trumpet

6. StoporIlltoot!

StoporIlltoot! New Friend

Jan 7, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I started at age 11, in the middle of 6th grade. The first semester of band I played (and hated) French horn. After begging my parents to switch to trumpet, they finally rented a Conn student model. I remember saying to my French horn teacher, "What do you think about me switching to trumpet?" His reply was "It's a step down in society." In hindsight, it was the best "step down" I ever took. :cool:

7. ger

ger New Friend

Aug 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    29, on a new Amati. now my favorite is a Connstellation 38b, but playing a lot of others and a tuba as well

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My brother had a King cornet. I was a violin player, then a French Horn player. however, since he was my brother, I played his horn too. Marching band I played trumpet (used to squeak out an A over High C, but later on when I actually switched to trumpet a D over high C was the best I could do (Long time ago, no telling what I was doing wrong) Started playing trumpet exclusively after 1971 and have stayed there. I have had: Conn 6B, Bach Strad, Selmer Radial 2, Selmer Paris (19, 21, and 24), Calicchio, Schilke, Olds Ambassador, Olds Super, Leblanc firebird, Rudy Muck Conductor, Benge CG model, Courtois, Rudy Muck Super Artist clone, and numerous cornets and flugels. I loved MOST of them.

9. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I know lots of people who say they regret they didn't start playing a musical instrument when they were young. I tell them There is people that start playing trumpet in 30's and some come back to trumpet after half a century of not playing!! They don't believe it though. :-(

10. aboomer90

aboomer90 New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I started back in the fall of 2001 at the beginning of 6th grade. I was 11. I started out on a "rent to own" starter cornet that my mother got from my local music store. I don't remember the brand or model, because I only had it for a couple of weeks before I expressed interest in trumpet instead, so we traded it for a trumpet from the same music store. It was a starter Jupiter, I think the brand is 600L? Used that until Sophomore year of high school when my mom surprised me with an intermediate level Getzen Eterna II. I still have and use both horns; The Getzen for concert playing, the Jupiter for pep band events/as a backup horn.