What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Kima

Kima New Friend

Oct 29, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    I started at 11, played a cornet of unknown origin the first years in the school brass band, later "advanced" to the Bach Mercedes (while they were still US made) trumpet I was still playing when I quit at 18. As a comeback player at 46 (I am not the only one coming back at this age- is this a sign of a midlife crisis?), I am the proud owner of a Yamaha 4335 GS, bought after thoroughly studying advice not least at this fine site.

2. Oompah1

Oompah1 New Friend

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I started playing trumpet in the school band in 4th grade, so I was 10. I stopped playing when I was 18. I started back up at 38 and have been playing again for the past 18 years. I started with a student rental for the first few months. I'm pretty sure it was a Conn (not sure what model). For Christmas that year, my parents, sorry Santa, got me an Emo Professional, a German trumpet. I was in heaven. I now play a Burbank 900

3. jaketrumpet89

jaketrumpet89 New Friend

Jan 26, 2010
    London
    7 i'm now 20 and my first horn was a boosey and hawkes regent cornet then when i was big enough i had a yamaha

4. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    I was 8, played untill 18, came back after 35yrs :play:

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Everybody!!

I started piano at 5 years old. I started trumpet/cornet in the summer between third and fourth grade at age 9.

First I played my grandfather's old cornet (Silvertone?), but when the school year started and I would play in the Jr. High intermediate band (since I was already beyond what they would have taught me in beginning band) I got an Olds Ambassador. Nice horn! Wish I'd kept it!

Then in seventh grade, I got a Getzen Eterna Severenson model trumpet.

Freshman year in High School I got a Schilke C5 as I'd been playing in orchestra for several years already.

Many horns and years later, here I am, having never had the horn off of my face for more than a few weeks at a time. Ever.

Later!!

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band

6. TrumpeTchick10

TrumpeTchick10 New Friend

Feb 7, 2010
    13. 22 and still at it!

p.s. I don't think it's ever too late to start, or to pick it up again. practice! practice! :)

7. Irensaga

Irensaga Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I started when I was 8. I had a really smashed up unmarked trumpet borrowed from my county music service! I now am 25 and play a Holton T102 and a Yamaha 8310z.

8. TrumpetKid_93

TrumpetKid_93 New Friend

Mar 15, 2010
    SUP!! im new (but old just never made an account)
    Ive playd since 6th grade... age 11
    im 16 now 17 in june
    so ya ive playd 6 years come november this year
    First horn was from an accordian shop o.0
    brand was Sunrise lmao
    but i later got an Yamaha 2335 which im currently playn on ill be on a strad by the end of this month

9. PeteD74

PeteD74 New Friend

Feb 13, 2010
    Livonia, MI
    I started playing @ age 8 in 1965. I gave it up after 3 years and have played more in the last month than in the three previous decades. I found a new love for this wonderful instrument. I play my one and only Besson 2-20.

10. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    i started when i was 11, im now 15. my first horn was a getzen capri