What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. beautgrainger147

beautgrainger147 Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2009
    Rotherham
    I started last year at 22, about 7-8 months and still enjoying it. Quite wish I'd started a bit sooner though. I started with a really worn out trumpet of otherwise seemingly decent quality.

2. Yvo

Yvo New Friend

Feb 15, 2010
    Florida
    19, not seriously. (as in actually practicing and improving) 20 before I did get into it.

Only thing I play is my dad's old Strad.

3. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Started trumpet when I was 6. I had started learning piano at 5 and got my first guitar at 5. I *think* that when I started taking lessons I was using a second horn borrowed from my teacher, and then soon after my parents bought a used Yamaha of some kind. A couple years later I got a horribly tarnished old Vega Standard (see other thread in 'Vintage') that looked like crap but sounded and played SO much better than the Yamaha. I was just saying to my mother last year that I can't remember whatever happened to that Yamaha. I stopped playing it entirely, but none of the family remembers getting rid of it. It must be in storage somewhere. Anyway, I still have (and love) the old (now re-finished) Vega from 90 years ago.

I quit piano lessons at about 14 but was pretty serious about trumpet until the end of high school. I kind of drifted away from it during university (mid/late 80's) and just got back into it in the past year. I think the biggest reason for not playing is that it is too d**n loud! From my university years until 2 years ago I lived in apartments. Now I have a house and can make as much noise as I want. I never stopped playing guitar and have a few nice classical and archtop guitars that I play daily. I am glad to be playing trumpet again but I weap for the skills I have let stagnant.

4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    age 14 Conn 16b played it until I graduated from High School then I bought my teacher's old Yamaha ytr-734. It turned 40 years old this year and doesn't look any different than the day I bought it.

5. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Started in 5th grade taking private lessons, I was 9 at the time.
    My first horn was a E.M. Winston trumpet. I played on that same horn till 10th grade. Then I got my Bach Strad s37. Then in October of 2009 I got my main horn, Schilke X3. Im in my senior year of high school and I'm going to continue through college and after college join an orchestra.

6. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    6 years old, Dad was a military trumpet player so I inherited HIS first horn, a "Pioneer" Trumpet his mom reportedly bought at Sears in the 60's for under 100 bucks.

I played through school, joined the military bands myself, recently got out, and here I am after 22 years of playing, and I still play EVERYDAY!

7. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Hated music in grade 7, but started instrumental in grade 8 thanks to Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass. Completed 1st year university then switched to bass trombone(!!) for the following 7 years. First horn? Benny Barbara's first horn (Barbara was a well-known bandleader around Montreal), a worn-out old Selmer with wiggly valves and leaks bigger than the bell itself, sold to me (unknown to him) by his son for drug money. I heard later he was *very* displeased.

Started again just 8 months ago after a 20 year absence, now playing a Yamaha and co-lead in the local community band, and playing every day. Yow!

8. cuttlefishii

cuttlefishii New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    I started playing 8 months ago, so I was... 15 :) At least that's when I started taking lessons. I got my trumpet 14 months ago, but the first 6 months were just me trying to get a sound out and failing epically.

My first horn was a King Liberty model. It was my grandma's trumpet from 1940, so it's 70 years old now.

My current trumpet (just got 2 weeks ago actually) is a Bach Strad S37, ML bore. Bought for $900, a bit dinged up here and there but it's a great horn with a nice sound and feel to it. It's from 1995, so it's 15 this year.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  9. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I started when I was 16 on 1960 holton collegiat, I sold the holton when I was 19 and bought a new Getzen severinsen and quit at 22 and just started back at 64 I still play the Getzen and wished I hadn't given up so soon, but it is not like a lot of peoples storys.

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I was a late starter at age 12 and learned to play cornet at the local Salvation Army. My first cornet was an old Bundy. I've played "on and off" for many years. I am a "comeback player" trying to get better. I am now 62 years old, so a number of years have gone by since those early days. I still favor cornet.

Best wishes,

Lloyd