What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. scaramanga

scaramanga New Friend

Feb 27, 2010
    London
    Misspent youth so nothing until 16 - bugle.18 - tpt. Pro ever since (31 years). Without music I think I may have been an addict or alcoholic - trumpet is a healthy addiction...
    I never want to stop learning.

2. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    I had just turned 44 when I started playing the trumpet. Now I'm just a couple weeks shy of 46. when I began, I switched from French Horn (that I had started as a comeback player after 25 years) to save the tiny local community orchestra I play in - the sole trumpeter had gotten high blood pressure, and his doc told him to quit playing. Initially, I thought I'd switch back to F. Horn if we could recruit a "real" trumpeter. We never did. In the mean time, I joined, along with my Euphonium player husband, a much larger community band that plays a lot of swing and includes a MF alumni in the section. I became inspired. I quickly progressed through three horns - student Yamaha, intermediate Bach (both rent-to-own plans) and just a couple of weeks ago took the plunge and committed for life to a brand new 1S/2 Calicchio. Trumpets, I discovered, are just way too much fun, and a challenge. I'll never let anyone tell me again that the French Horn is the hardest brass instrument - although I loved to believe that as a former F. Horn snob. If that was true, the trumpet should have been a piece of cake.

So, I owe my trumpet-playing - now my greatest beloved diversion - to another person's high-blood pressure. I bet not too many can say that.

3. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Dad started me out at age 9 just before entering 4th grade. First horn was a York. Played through High School and off and on during college. Stopped at 22. Just started again a couple of months ago at age 49.

4. Stephenspiegel

Stephenspiegel New Friend

Mar 12, 2010
    started at age 8. That would be in 1949. First paying gig at age 15. First horn was a Bundy. Then a Conn Then, then, then...... ending with a Martin circa 1924.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Started in 7th grade ,had first lesson in 8th grade in 1962, had a 1934 Martin Imperial , never stopped playing,still have the horn but no longer use it.

6. jgambill

jgambill New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    I started playing at 62 on a Sonare 800.

7. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I started at age 10, on a Olds ambassador. I am now 15 and play a Bach Strad 37 ML (with a bach 2c Megatone mouthpiece) and have just taken my grade 8 :)

Peace NYCO10

8. Prince of Denmark

Prince of Denmark New Friend

Dec 1, 2009
    Monterrey.Mx
    when I was 15. a conn 18.
    now Im 16 :p

ETA.

I play a bach strad 37

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  9. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    I started at 29yrs am now 34, and my trumpet is an Artiste brand. I am serious about playing and becoming a professional jazz musician even though starting late in the game.:play:

10. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I was in 7th grade, so 12 years old? (Went to private before with no band program.) I wanted to play horn, but the band director wouldn't allow kids to play horn and told me I had to play trumpet instead. I had a Blessing, which wasn't a blessing. After a year it was traded for a Bach Strad, model 43. Then I got to high school and learned to play horn.