What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jackwindcrest

jackwindcrest New Friend

Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I was 5th grade and played a Selmer from Brook Mays in Dallas. In 7th grade, the band director asked for "volunteers" to switch to baritone with immediate advancement into the Marching Band. I volunteered and played Baritone all the way through college and law school. Played at it: 1-2 days a week until age 55. Decided to see if I could make the switch back to trumpet. Rented one and started to work on it. Way too restrictive and so I got a 1914 Holton New Proportion Cornet with a Parduba 5 mpc. After a year felt confident enough to go back to Alumni Band and found a home in the trumpet section.

I play which ever part they need help with 1-4th but no solos. Have to work a little on 2nd but like it best. I find 4th hard because the rhythms are similar but you can't find the melody with a search light.

Just switched to a Leon Merion Jet tone mpc and find a bigger low register and high register of first high D to high F easy enough. Rarely need more than Eb. MPC is a little bigger but still has a relaxed double cup. Old Baritone player finds it comfortable.

Going to be buying Kanstul 731 in a couple of weeks and looking at P-5 mpc.

2. Hockeyist

Hockeyist New Friend

Mar 15, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    12 yrs old. When I started secondary school (year 7). Played in the school band (brass band) for the next 6 years then a bit after. In the first year I played the euphonium, eb horn, trombone then cornet and trumpet. Our teacher made sure that we got a taste of each section before choosing our weapon.

3. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    I started learning the trumpet only 3 months ago at the age of 68, I saw a scherzer Bb in a local antique shop window and decided to buy it for the asking price of £125. I take lessons once a week. DF

4. welcherHB

welcherHB New Friend

Mar 20, 2010
    Johnson City, NY
    I started around the age of 13. My horn was a Yamaha (no idea what model) that my parents bought me used. I started with a Bach 7C mpc. A few years later a kid in concert band gave me an Al Hirt (or Al Cass? I can't remember which) mpc that he didn't like. I loved it and didn't use anything else until I stopped playing around age 19.
    I just started playing again yesterday after 25 years. During that time my horn and mpcs were stolen.
    I just bought a used Holton Collegiate the other day (in great shape w/ 3 mpcs) and boy!! Do I have a lot to relearn!

5. greenpeppers

greenpeppers New Friend

Mar 31, 2008
    I started playing trumpet when I was 37 (2 years ago) and I play in a community band. I've been playing music for around 30 years but this is my first experience with a brass instrument. It's hard but I'm loving it!
    My horn is a Getzen Capri.

6. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    I started in 1959 in the fifth grade, so I suppose I was about 10. I started on the same horn I am playing right now, an Olds French Model LA horn that was passed down to me thru my family.

7. trumpet4u

trumpet4u New Friend

Feb 11, 2008
    Sharonville, Ohio
    5th grade 11 years old started on a beat up King but Dad bought me a brand new Blessing Super Artist in 1942 for $150.00. I still play some and record the Demos for my website. Played in the Tiger Swing Band in Massillon, Ohio under George Bird, Director, played in the Great Lakes Drum and Bugle Corp. Really enjoy playing the trumpet and repairing them at age 79.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  8. GTO

GTO New Friend

Feb 25, 2009
    Started at 18 and developed my chops over the summers with the Boston Crusaders Drum and Bugle corps.

First trumpet was a pawn shop Bach TR200, and after 10 years finally purchased my dream trumpet a Schilke X3.

9. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    When did you play with Boston?? I have been involved with drum corps off and on since 1966, all with various senior corps.

10. GTO

GTO New Friend

Feb 25, 2009
    I played with Boston from 98-00 and peformed with another corps The Concord Blue Devils from 01-02.

Had a great time and learned a whole lot about brass playing. Drum corps is a great place to learn even the basics.