What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Kolotrpt

Kolotrpt Pianissimo User

Apr 4, 2010
    Denton TX
    in 6th grade. I started on what is still my favorite horn, a King 2055 Silver Flair

2. that_trumpet_girl

that_trumpet_girl New Friend

Apr 5, 2010
    i was 8/9 when i started on a Besson 609- Kanstul made. I now play on a Bach Strad Model 37, but i will occasionally pick up the besson. I am now 16.

3. manpikin

manpikin New Friend

Apr 7, 2010
    I started around age 7. My music teacher bought a Conn Director Cornet for me at a garage sale in the US and brought it back to Lagos. Have been hooked since then.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  4. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    The Boston show in 2000 is one of my all-time favorites, and Blue Devils have been at the absolute peak of the activity for a long time. My wife Mitzi and I wrote a column for Drum Corps World for many years (He Said, She Said). I played in a lot of senior field corps over the years, starting in 1966, and learned a great deal about performing and technique. I marched New York Skyliners in 2000 (the year you were in Boston) when I was 50 years old - that was a workout! I also played Mellophone with the 2002 DCA Mini-Corps champion Erie Thunderbirds.

5. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Halfway through third grade, so I was 8. Started on a secondhand pea-shooter. Then a new Bundy (in the gray case with red interior) - nickel silver trim, no less. Selmer Radial 2 in 1973. Bach Strad L bore in '77. Now, I'm a trumpet junkie. 43 years is a long time to be obsessed with anything.

6. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    I started at age 9. My uncle was my teacher. I did the Arban book from page 1 to the end. I still play every day.

7. mistertee

mistertee New Friend

Apr 21, 2009
    Like a lot of others, I started in 5th grade when I was 10 years old. That first horn was a Conn, not sure of the model, but it was used - and abused: my younger brothers both gave it a try and finally one of them managed to rip the bell completely off. Five kids in the family, there wasn't much in the budget for a horn, but in 9th grade my dad found a used Olds Recording (1953) that he bought off a college student that needed money (to get married or some other such dire reason). I'm sure it was tough for him to scrape up the $150 (this was the fall of 1966), and I didn't fully understand what a special horn I had until recently after reading these forums. I got it fixed up a year ago and started playing again after nearly 40 years of inactivity. Now hardly a day goes by that I don't pick it up.

8. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    You got a great horn. If it is in good shape it is worth a few bucks today. keep playing, it will take some time to bring back the chops. I have been playing since I was 9 years old. That was 61 years ago. Still play every day. Where the hell has all the time gone?
    Regards
    Jake

9. mistertee

mistertee New Friend

Apr 21, 2009
    Jake,

Thanks for the encouragement and the inspiration - I hope I can continue to play for a long time. The chops came back much quicker than I had expected, actually. By the way, the horn plays better than it looks, but I'd never part with it. But your comment about where has the time gone is spot on. Thankfully, I have a new, easy-to-please audience - grandchildren!

Mistertee

1953 Olds LA Recording
    1969 Olds Ambassador Cornet
    1973 Olds Ambassador
    Amati Kraslice Flugelhorn

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. Nikv

Nikv Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    If you put in the time and energy, you still have time to be the greatest trumpet player who ever lived.

There is a time that's "too late", but 18 is not it.

-Nik