What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. alextrumpet

alextrumpet New Friend

Feb 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    5th grade.........I was 11 years old and it was on a King Cornet in Waverly, Illinois.

2. xpristpher

xpristpher New Friend

Feb 18, 2010
    Poland, Europe
    Started playing at 20. Stopped. Started again at 60. Stopped. Started again at 68.

Mad?

Glutton for punishment?

3. sachamo512

sachamo512 New Friend

Apr 13, 2010
    I started when I was in 4th grade, 9 years old

Been playing for 9 years now, but only the past 2 or 3 have actually been serious, haha =D

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    5th grade, age 12, on used Pitt-American I bought for $35 from neighbor with earnings from my paper route. Played it, and learned other horns as well through sophmore year in high school when I bought a Martin Standard. After high school continued playing in church and here and there, entering USAF (not band) and getting married. While I was overseas wife liquidated both horns and wanted divorce. She got it and nothing else, but all I got was award of depreciated value of what she liquidated of mine. After USAF in college I rented a Getzen trumpet and Minored in instrumental music. Many years passed until February 2004 when I acquired a used Conn Director cornet and began playiing again at age 67 almost 68, thereafter rapidly acquiring Conn Coprion Director trumpet, and from my late brother a Yamaha Marching mellophone and a Shilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet and from a friend given a Conn Artist euphonium and King tenor trombone. I bought a used but like new Kanstul-Besson 609 trumpet and was given a strange unidentified tuba (6 piston valves in two sets) that looks European (Cousenon ???). Yeah, I was playing them all until July 2008 when zip - stopped when I lost front upper incisor. Then cardio-vascular issue suspended immediate dental restoration ... but now I'm on track again for end of July 2010 to have full upper denture and resume. Yes, using a proprietary forensics audio computer program, I'm able to merge and sychronize all the instrument parts. In July 2008, I was playing my best ever, having at that time recorded over 280 songs in many genres. Present wife of 44 years is encouraging me, even though she plays nothing. I've a daughter who plays all the reed and flute, and a granddaughter now beginning the clarinet.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  5. xpristpher

xpristpher New Friend

Feb 18, 2010
    Poland, Europe
    Thanks, Ed Lee, for your encouraging story. Maybe I'm not too old after all.

6. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    I started in 4th grade, on some unknown Yamaha thing. I have been playing ever since (I am in 10th grade now)

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    11 years old in the late 70's. Boosey and Hawkes "Lafluer" trumpet until I recently retired it for a Bach Strad (which I wish I had done much sooner!)

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Vulagano Brother started playing in the Jurassic Age.

9. flugelhorn-rus

flugelhorn-rus New Friend

Jul 5, 2010
    Mandurah, WA, Australia
    Started at age of 16.

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    7th Grade, I was picked out for trumpet but we didn't have money for the mouthpiece, and I dropped it. I could blow a long note though, longer than anyone which was funny because I was about the smallest.

Tried it out again here'n'there as an adult, got going with it 2 winters ago, could not take it with me traveling cross country on a 250cc motorcycle, so it had to go. I'm starting again now (age 47) because I now have a fixed location with a real address, enough to eat, a good roof over my head, and I'm far away enough from neighbors that no one minds. I feel I have the freedom to be "bad" for a while, and once I'm decent, then I'll let people know I play. The landowner here has no idea and I want to keep it that way until I have something to show.