What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Pope

Pope New Friend

Dec 25, 2009
    Started at 9 years old in 4th grade. I also tried to join a community band the following summer, but the director said I was too young to play. So, I joined a different one. Funny thing was, I went to a summer institute run by his brass group, and he was amazed that I could sightread better than him. I'm only 18. It was pretty funny. I said, "yup, that's what happens when you start early, and play in a community band all the time."
    Started out on my old Holton Collegiate, then got another one, then got a Benge 90B for nearly free, then just kept collecting more. Once you start, you just can't stop.

2. Shandra

Shandra New Friend

Jun 28, 2010
    13, first horn was a Yamaha YTR1335. Going in a week to try out a few new ones and a couple new mouthpieces.

3. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Started at age 10 on a Bundy, played to age 18 when asthama developed. Quit pretty much until around age 38 and started again to show my oldest daughter how to play the horn. Kept going, and still going some twelve years later. Current horns are a Conn 22b and a Conn Constellation.

4. High School Trumpet

High School Trumpet New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    USA
    5th grade, 9 years old. Still have that old Prestini...

5. dstrad

dstrad Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    Started when I was 8. King Cleveland cornet 5C mouthpiece.

6. P76

P76 New Friend

May 22, 2009
    The Golden City of OZ
    First post on TM!

Started playing at 8 years old, on a Zenith, a piece of rubbish - which got me a music scholarship to high school! The teacher there spoke to my folks after one week, and the upshot was a Yamaha YTR634, which I still own 31 years later. In my brass banding days I was given the very best (Globe stamp Sovereign) to use. In the last few years I've had the good fortune to be able to get some more horns, thanks to a very kind sister who now resides in the US. So, now have the horns listed in my sig, as well as a Wiseman pocket trumpet, and an old no-name valve trom.

Mpc - started on a Bach 7C, moved to a 5C, now play on a Monette B2, and have another few lying around. I use Wicks for cornet and flugelhorn.

My sis is coming back Down Under for a visit in a month or two and is bringing me an Olds Studio, so I think I'm now officially a gear head :-(

All good fun!

7. Alan1

Alan1 New Friend

Jul 20, 2010
    Picked it up for the first time for a year when I was 30. Took lessons, but an intense day job got in the way and ended up dropping it. Got the bug when I was 50 and floundered a bit trying to find a good teacher. Now at 55 I've got a really good teacher (when he is available for lessons) and have been putting in the time as much as my embouchure will let me. Joined a New Horizons band for those over 50 after just a year (they were VERY tolerant :D) and have now moved over to a much better community band. The next least experienced horn player in this band still has about 25 years more under her belt than I do. This is what I want to do when I retire and I might move that up to make it happen faster. It feels like I'm going through my FIRST childhood now.

First horn - Getzen student model bought used for $50. I don't think the duct tape on the cracked stem made all that much difference to my sound : )
    Current - Bach Strad

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I started in 4th grade and put it down at the final formata commencement concert 1976. Didnt touch it for 25 years. Picked it up again 9 years ago and having the time of my life with it. Started on an Olds Ambasador coronet and now play a Yamaha Xeno and a Getzen 900s Eterna Classic.

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    wow. I like your story. We have a New Horizons Band here in Dubuque. Are you from here?

10. kbird96

kbird96 New Friend

Jul 23, 2010
    I started playing in 6th grade, so i was...umm 11 i think. I lived in Germany at that time, and im not quite sure what my first trumpet was, there were no engravings on it, on the paperwork (in german haha) it said it was an "artisan" trumpet. That's all that i know about it. But i loved it =) Any one heard of Artisan trumpets?? haha