What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Weevie

Weevie New Friend

May 31, 2010
    Gloucestershire, UK
    I started as a fresh faced kid of 48. 6 months on I'm now a distinguished 49 ;-)

I started off on a B+H 400, but now play an Olds Ambassador.

2. BORTrumpetMom

BORTrumpetMom New Friend

Jul 3, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you Stuart, Jon, Doug, Weezie, etc.! I needed the encouragement.....

3. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I started when I was 12yrs old, played through college and ten years after. I got called up (US Army Reserves) and had to go to Berlin for 6 months. Stored the horn until 5 years ago. Been making great progress, have a great teacher and also use Smart Music.

SmartMusic

This is a great program for the comeback player to practice at home and get timing back.

4. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    I started playing at 13, and began playing professionally and teaching at 18.

5. jeanfor

jeanfor New Friend

Aug 31, 2010
    I started very late as well. I nearly did a career in music playing the clarinet. My goal is to attain a trumpet Pro level within a few years. I have a private teacher and do practice daily 1 to 2 hours as well. I am motivated and in in top physical shape. It looks that I am gifted with the instrument...

I think one of the issue with many musicians who have played for a long time as professional, they become burnout and do not have the motivation and the first love they had when they were young players.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It seems universal that a long time in any job decays the incentative toward optimum performance and enjoyment. When one plays just well enough to get by, don't believe the public or your band mates don't know it. It's all downhill from there.

The percentage of really successful players is low enough among all who play. Why?

7. jeanfor

jeanfor New Friend

Aug 31, 2010
    First I think that many players think that technique is all that matters. It is very important and if you play several hours a day you are expected to have a solid technique. But the way a musician sounds and the quality of the sound is something you get or do not get. Unfortunately not always the best people get to be known. I know a few clarinetists who got positions they should not have gotten, in well known orchestras: excellent technique...but nothing else. My teacher who was a 1st price at the Paris conservatory and a student of Jacques Lancelot (one of the greatest classical clarinetist of our time, he was the one who played Jean Francaix clarinet concerto for the first time in public...an extremely difficult piece of music) and a composer as well did told me many times that your connections were what made you go places. This is not always true but often true. And I think this is why it seems that many great players are not successful.

8. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Started when I was 11. Only played for 6th grade. Picked up again just recently and am 26. My first horn was a yamaha student model. Now I play my grandfather's 1962 Leblanc medallion, made by courtois.

9. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    You have a lot of catching up to do. Practice, Practice
    , Practice.
    Regards
    Jake

10. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I started in fifth grade on a Conn that my parents did the rent to own thing. Got my current horn, an Olds Superstar 2 for 8th grade graduation and I played it all the way through high school. Decided to pick it back up after 31 years off. I don't remember what became of my old Conn. I assume we probably passed it on to a younger bandster.

My first lesson on the comeback trail is tonight! 8/31/2010.

Mark