What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    The Superstar is a good horn. Now all you have to do is practice. Good Luck.
    Regards
    Jake

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, and I'll assume those who pursue attainment are highly skilled, the chances of such success would be as if you walked into a completely blackened 50' x 50' room and within 15 minutes could locate the single black silk thread as hung from the ceiling to the floor.

Let me say that a marksman cannot hit a 12" silk handkerchief hanging from a line with a 357 magnum. Why is a factor that makes finding that thread most difficult. A few may, but hundreds may never.

3. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    I was about 10 or so.
    Started on a Conn8b.
    Had to quit for a few years do to a right hand injury that left me with nerve damage in my wrist and third finger.
    After rehab I tried a comeback but couldnt play up to my standards so I moved on with life since I couldn't play on a professional level anymore.
    Im in my 50s now and decided to come back to something I love even though I cant perform like I want.

4. Nighthawk877

Nighthawk877 New Friend

Apr 28, 2010
    San Antonio, Texas
    I started playing the trumpet when I was 11 years old in 2001. I started on a Yamaha YTR2320 and Vincent Bach 7c mouthpiece. I still have them and plan on finding better equipment in the future.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  5. cajunrph

cajunrph New Friend

Sep 2, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I started in 4th or 5th grade. I was 9-10. First trumpet was some old old one my dad use to play. I not really sure what kind it was, might just have to ask Dad about it. Didn't even have a case. I soon was given an Olds Special. I played till my 10th grade year (I was 15). Looking back I wish I wouldn't have quit the band as I really sucked at football, and I was much better trumpeter. Now at it again (43) trying to get my chops back on my old Olds Special.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  6. matterado

matterado New Friend

Aug 31, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    5th grade on a Conn B20. Still have it, still play it... The only horn I have that I don't mind tossing to someone while playing in a parking lot.

7. Flat Iron

Flat Iron New Friend

Oct 20, 2008
    Lacombe Alberta Canada
    Piano at age 5, trumpet at 10, trombone at 15. First trumpet was a used "EMO Champion" bought by my parents on the advice of a salesman ... that trumpet is still going strong ... which tells a lot as I am now 53!

8. SCV81

SCV81 Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    Bay Area, Northern Calif.
    I was 9 and in 4th grade in the autumn of 1972. At a school assembly, students were asked to to identify whether a piano note was "high' or 'low' and mark it down on paper. I selected 'trumpet' as my choice of instrument. I passed the test and a few days later, Mom brought home a shiny Bundy trumpet. I played it up to 11th grade. It's tarnished and dented now, but still plays ok. Saving up to buy new and better one. I'm now 47 and a recent come-back player

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Started Trumpet 7 months ago at age 46. (Played sax professionally 25 years earlier). First and only trumpet is an Etude, $99 special, I believe no longer made, therefore should be worth a fortune someday :D.

One of the things I love about trumpet is that even my bottom of the line horn sounds pretty good. Bottom of the line saxes are just flatout bad from the start...and never cost $99.

10. flugeler

flugeler New Friend

Aug 27, 2010
    SoCal
    Started at age 11 - my dad used to play a combination of Louis Armstrong and Herb Alpert records around the house in the early 70's and it got me interested. Then I heard Basie and it was all over. Played on an Olds Ambassador - wish I still had it!