What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Shofarblast

Shofarblast New Friend

Nov 28, 2010
    Kentucky
    I started in the 4th grade. Now I'm 48 and have played off and on all those years. I play a Bach Stradivarius I got in 1981 at college. It's a great horn. Made in 1967 according to the serial number. It's good to be here. :)

2. SPFTrumpet

SPFTrumpet New Friend

Nov 30, 2010
    New Jersey
    Started the summer before 4th grade, so I was 9..now 22, music ed degree, still playing every day. My first horn was a Bundy (it was my dad's when he was in school.)

3. TrumpetTheKid

TrumpetTheKid Pianissimo User

May 1, 2011
    Sacramento Area
    I started in 4th grade, but due to my lack of maturity and patience at that age, I quit after 1 month (actually not even that, I quit after 3 weeks). I started again in the 7th grade and got hooked and hope to major in music in college and go on to professional playing. Not counting the trumpet I owned for 3 weeks in 4th grade, my first (and current) trumpet was a Yamaha student model that for some odd reason, had a 3rd valve made entirely out of plastic, although I got it switched out for a normal metal one.

4. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Age 8 on a second hand peashooter. Got a Bundy the next year and played that into my Freshman year of HS. Selmer Radial2 until undergraduate in 1977, then bought a Strad so I could be like everyone else - got the large bore with the 25 bell. Played that through grad school - put a 72 lightweight bell on it about 15 years ago. Flamethrower!!

Now I'm playing on my Committees - heaven.

IMO, 8 is too young. Physically, I wasn't ready - permanent teeth not in. Mentally, I was not ready for "reading" and was illiterate for YEARS. I don't think bad teaching but rather not differentiating the instruction to maximize my learning style.

5. mandyg233

mandyg233 New Friend

Jun 4, 2011
    New Jersey
    I started at 12 years old, a week before 7th grade. I rented a student RS Berkeley for about a year, than I upgraded to my wonderful Bach Strad!

6. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    26. Played for about a year. Put it down, life got in the way.
    Now 40 and been heavily into it again for about 8 months and absolutely loving it.
    Started on my Dad's old 59/60 Martin Magna but bought a student trumpet better suited to where I'm at.
    I'm surprised at how far I've come in such a short period of time but I've been playing music for most of my life so something must have rubbed off somewhere. Trying not to look behind me and wonder 'what if I kept playing from 26?' and instead am looking forward to the rest of my life playing trumpet.

7. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    I was 9, and my father found a Burbank Benge for $50.00 in a pawn shop in Pasadena. Oh.. I wish I still had that horn.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    . Lay your instrument down to eat, sleep, and other diversions.:cool:

9. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    Started as a senior in high school on a King Tempo 600. I was a sax major in college, but trumpet is my go to instrument most the time.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Age 9, Olds Ambassador.