What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    From when I was 5 to 20, then I picked it up again off and on from 22 to 37, at 38 was playing full on again. I started at 5 on a Deg valve/rotar bugle, then a Besson 2-20 at 6.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Age 6, Olds Super cornet

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Age 7, second grade.

4. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    9, '59 Conn Shooting Star Director.

5. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    started when i was 11 on a crappy yamaha cornet, it was not any name or anything on it, just stood yamaha. then i got a brand new yamaha YCR-2310II i think it was, then i got my first trumpet, a yamaha trumpet.

6. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Started around age 10 / 5th grade which was as early as we had a chance to start. Sort of wanted to play sax, but my interest moved to the trumpet. BY requirement of my mother I took some piano lessons when I was much younger. Played trumpet through 8th grade / moved and didn't play in high school.. Always think I screwed up by not playing in high school, but got burned out because the middle school band director helped his summer time pay by offering lessons to everyone in the band during the summer... I would spend summers with my dad and come back from summer to find myself moving from 1st chair section to last chair. After 2 summers and multiple challenges to move up in chairs, during the year, I got burned out....(and before you think I didn't work on my playing during the summer, I went to a Band Camp for a week for 2 years in a row during the summer where we had roughly 8 hour days of education, playing, etc. each day for the week) That coupled with the fact that I was always beating out the other students in playing ability said I was good enough to move up.

Then fast forward (MANY MANY years) to 2 years ago and I picked my same old Conn Connstelation (cornet) back up and started playing... then had to buy a new trumpet, new flugelhorn, a pocket cornet, an Olds cornet, and even a Olds euphonium. :-) Playing at church semi-regularly and in a corporate band and having a lot of fun (again) playing. At some point I suppose I will get a C trumpet, a piccolo, maybe a bugle (seems like it could be fun) maybe another Bb trumpet... and who knows..

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I was 9 y/o in 4th grade. The school actuallu loaned us the instrument so I started off on an Olds ??? (Ambassador I would guess). In Jr High (7th grade/1984) Parents bought me a brand new Yamaha ??? cant recal the model, but it was a student model with a mix of silver and brass. I excelled in my playing being an under cover nerd into HS. The three seniors asked me to play 4th part in Jazz Band. That was an honor as a freshman just transferred in from a new school. That year parents bought me a Bach Straud model 72. It was destroyed by abuse when I joined the military just after HS. I stopped playing and picked it back up about two years ago. Main horn is my Conn 6B Victor. I'm 38 now....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  8. RMS

RMS Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2010
    Iowa
    Age 11. King Super 20 Symphony

9. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan
    I believe I was 10. I was in 5th grade. I'm now 16 and still playing!

10. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I started in 4th grade at age 9. My first instrument was some sort of rental, but fairly soon thereafter I got a Bundy trumpet. My son started right before 1st grade at age 6 on that same Bundy.