What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Adena422

Adena422 New Friend

May 28, 2011
    Michigan

When I posted that I wasn't sure if I was 10 or 11 at the time...I just figured out that I was, in fact, 10 :). And I'm glad I made you feel young :)

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I still know excactly how old I was when I started but I just don't know how old I'll be when I permanently quit ... and don't anybody tell me. Either time, what does it matter?

3. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    I started when I was ten, puts me at 18 years now!

4. Microblitz

Microblitz New Friend

Feb 16, 2011
    I started when I was 6 with the learners section of the Birchington Silver Band in Kent, England.

I gave up when I was 18 and started again when I was 47 and I'm now 48.

5. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    Started when I was 12 in concert band in middle school with a holton student model. At 16 I began playing mariachi music in high school and used three different horns there. I'm 25, about to be 26 right now and still continue with playing mariachi while using a yamaha xeno 8345

6. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Age 29 as an adult beginner!

7. Plankowner110

Plankowner110 New Friend

May 25, 2009
    I started in another lifetime!
    Anyway it seems like it as I am almost 62. It's been a lot of fun and quite rewarding both personally and financially. Retired from teaching music but still blowin' the horn.

8. Pisarenko

Pisarenko New Friend

Dec 11, 2010
    Akureyri, Iceland
    Started at 30, never played before, but always loved Jazz. Now I´m 33 and motivated as ever. I simply love playing.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I would have started when I was 11 but the band director said he had enough cornet players .. said why don't you play French Horn or Baritone.. so I said naw that's alright I want to play trumpet .. waited until I was in the next grade in a different school with a different band director (at least on the daily basis).. rented a real POS Lafayette ..with a hole in it... The previous band director still conducted the 3 different schools when they played together ... and he told me I would never amount to anything that year (side note he told my wife when she was 11 that her fingers were too small to play the clarinet...(what a gem this guy was) ...the following year I was in Jr High playing first chair .. I really have the Jr Hg band director to thank for loaning me his vintage cornet to use instead of that piece of brass that poised as a trumpet.

10. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    "The great Herbert L. Clarke didn't start until the age of 14. Within 6 yrs. he was 1st chair in the Sousa band, sitting next to his boyhood idol Walter Rogers."

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012