What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. RileyR98

RileyR98 New Friend

Feb 9, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    11 in the 6th grade, so I have only have 4 years on me... I had a pawn shop Bach TR300

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
  4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    At 12 years old I joined a bugle Band (Bb) at school,
    so when I started to play Trumpet at 13 I had a range to G above the staff...discovered open Bb on bugle. Studied trumpet seriously for 5 years, then found Jazz, and enjoyed playing for a few more years. Never got to a Double C, my limit was G above High C when I was good. Gave it up in early 20s to concentrate on my day job and studies.
    My wife had never heard me play, but bought me a Jupiter Pocket trumpet for my 48th Birthday. Played at Xmas, and at parties for family and friends.

Got back playing last year (50+ yo) and found a strong lip, capable of a strong High C, and now get a reliable G....back to where I gave it up. Sadly my reading is still poor, but improving with a good teacher. (Glasses and astigmatism make it more difficult - age issues)...still love it, and still searching for the On/Off button....
    Explains the large collection...

5. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    Started at 11, First trumpet was Stagg 77-T, which was actually an alright horn, for NZ$300 or thereabouts.

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Selmer Bundy......the horn was older than me. right now it is probably a brass tie-down, or two, or three, on a yaght somewhere around Pensacola, Florida.

I was, um....:dontknow:.........eleven years,four months....16 days......forget how many hours.

My first music teacher was my "best friend", Mr Fusanii. In less than a year he moved away for a better job. Since that day he moved, 33 years ago, my experience with music teachers, instructors and directors, leaders, and even up to the "Prince", last Thursday, has lead me still to miss him tremendously.

Here's to Mr. Fusanii:bravo: wherever you are!

7. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    An amendment to my post:
    I was 10 years, 3 months, 3 days, and 4 Hours (11 O'clock Christmas Morning, my Dad gave me my first lesson, and I took lessons at school which started the following February)

8. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I started at age 10 and my first horn was a '60's vintage Getzen Series 300 (which I still have)-a very good horn for a student model.

9. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    ROFLyou got me beat! But, by how many minutes!!!! HAH!ROFL

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I was 10. My grandfather died in that year and I inherited his Holton Clarke model long cornet. I still use the horn occasionally today.