What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sousa himself, a classically trained violinist was an apprenticed into the U.S. Marine Band at the age of 14, where his father was a trombonist. He later became director of the Marine Band.

I was initially trained by Walter H. Cameron, cornetist 1926-31 in Sousa's second commercial band, the same band in which Meridith Willson, of later The Music Man fame, played flute. When Sousa became ill and subsequently died in 1932, Mr. Cameron went on to play with Ringling Brothers as was before they bought Barnum & Bailey and merged the circuses.

2. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    My older brother who used to play trumpet gave me "lessons" on his old bugle a few times when I was about 5. But I really started in 5th grade age ten with a $20-$40 yardsale cornet. My brother stopped playing trumpet so I got his King 600;-). I'm only 14 but I plan to keep practicing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. Blasphemy

Blasphemy New Friend

Jun 24, 2011
    North Andover, MA
    I started in 6th grade, when my school system first offered band, and began on a handy old Conn 22B. To be honest, I'll never get rid of my first horn... since it has personal value and it's too banged up to sell anyway :p.

I'm a junior now, and still keeping it up :)

4. BobtheBigFoot

BobtheBigFoot New Friend

May 15, 2011
    I was in fourth grade when I officially started to play the trumpet so age wise I was about 9 years old. Unofficially, I started around when I was eight. My grandmother and grandfather bought me a trumpet at a garage sale and gave it to me and I started to tinker around with it and from then on out I've only ever wanted to play the trumpet! (obviously It's like the best instrument ever!) Now I've been playing the trumpet for around 8 or 9 years and I currently play on a Bach Bb Stradivarious Trumpet 43 model with a LH 25 leadpipe and I use a schilke 14A4a mouthpiece.

5. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I was 13 or 14, took beginning band class in junior high school. My horn was a Conn Director (which I still have). I got a brand new Conn Connstellation 38B when I was 16 and played fairly regularly into my mid 20s. I dusted off the Connie last year at age 60 and got with a private teacher (something I never did in my misspent youth) and here we go again! Never too old to rock 'n roll....or swing.....or jazz :cool:

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Started at age 8.
    Played cornet solos regularly at 9 with the Moline Boys Choir (Moline., Ill.)
    First professional gig at 16 and still playing strong at nearly 70.

7. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    My mother had me in front of the piano at about age 5. After a few years of lessons, I tried my hand at guitar, then tenor sax in middle school, drums in my first year of high school, and finally the trumpet caught my eye when I was a sophomore.

I went to my band director - he handed me a horn, told me how to make a sound, and asked me to give it a try. I bleated out a note, he said "that's a G, now try to make another sound", another blat, "that's also a G - go home and practice that". This was the extent of my first lesson. I went home and just started to learn - taking private lessons throughout my time in HS.

In the 30 years since I started on the trumpet, I have been fortunate to study, and play, with many very good musicians in a variety of styles. I have enjoyed playing in a dixieland band, an electric blues band, various concert bands, swing bands, a community symphony, and several small ensembles - something in pretty much every town I have lived.

8. whimseylp

whimseylp New Friend

Jun 16, 2010
    I started at 43. I took piano lessons as a kid, and the happiest day of my life was when my piano teacher died. The trumpet was part of a midlife transition. It has been hard to play in community bands where everyone knows all the common tunes from being in high school bands and can sight read well, but I love being in the band. I'm 61 now. Maybe I'll get good enough before the arthritis gets me. My first trumpet was/is a Bach strad. Now I also have a Besson cornet and a Weril D/Eflat.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    By reading what you've said, it seems that you are now enjoying the trumpet very much ... and from my point of view that is all that really matters.

10. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Absolutely. Fun is the key to success with the instrument. I never intended to be a professional player (even when I was being paid to play), but the horn has continued to be a significant part of my lifestyle. Some years it was just practice at home. Others more performance. I am currently involved with two different bands in my area and several ensembles within those two. This has me out practicing or performing two or three nights a week (in addition to my daily practice routine). Some weeks I find myself spending more time playing more than doing my "real" job!

For anyone who is getting started, or on a comeback, find as many opportunities to play as you can. If there aren't any worthwhile groups in your area - form your own. It's usually pretty easy to put together a quartet or quintet and there's plenty of great music out there to keep it interesting. Or just find another trumpet player, pull out the Rubank's duets books, and make some noise.