What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. TrumpetKid93

TrumpetKid93 New Friend

Jun 5, 2011
    I started when I was about 11 in the fifth grade. My teacher (a drummer! how odd!) got me my first horn: a Bach TR300.

It's been several years. I'm now the lead player in my school's Jazz band as well as a Trumpeter in our school's combo and my friend's combo. I play on a Bach Big Apple Strad, and I plan to continue playing Trumpet for the rest of my life. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In this area, the dominant genres are gospel, country, and blue grass. The first, I can can get into deep but there isn't any remuneration for it, the second not much more than occasionally, but the third I've yet found no way to merge brass into that sound.

Too, this area is more than 90% are involved in agricultural crops and now is the height of that season where the farmers are working from sun-up long into the evening past sun down.

Now on my second comeback and at my age, I'm not overly concerned with becoming involved with others, but come this fall I hope to be an anchor to a newly forming community band and be tutoring some youth. Now when I said "anchor" doesn't mean I expect to play lead trumpet although on occasion I might, but that I'll play any other brass horn as needed. The primary objective of this band will be outreach to youth to develop their interest and the nucleus of the band are educators and/or musicians who understand that financial reward may not be available, but the joy of playing abundant.

To have pleasure now, all I need do is place some music on my stand and pick up an instrument to play. Well, maybe not at this exact minute as is 4:41 AM during my mid sleep break.

3. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    I started playing when I was 6th grade, 11 years old. The school I was in had no band, so I just took a weekly lesson.

The following year (7th grade) I transferred to a school that had a band. I was playing better than everybody else even though I had never been in band. Must have been the lessons and the practicing I did every day because my parents forced me. (Kind of like how I force my kids to practice even though they "hate" playing their instruments.)

Anyway, the first horn I had was a used Bundy trumpet that my dad paid $100 for. It was in excellent condition. For Christmas of my 7th grade year (1981) my dad bought me a new silver King 601 trumpet, which I played until the summer between my junior and senior years of high school.

At that time (I was 16) I bought a brand new Yamaha 6345S with my savings money. At that time I knew I was going to music school and I liked the Yamaha better the all the Bachs I tested out. I still played the King in marching band and through marching band in college. I ended up selling it for $200 and used the money to help purchase a C trumpet.

4. legallee

legallee New Friend

Mar 18, 2011
    just turned 55 and bought cornet. we have a garage band with a neighbor. he wanted a horn player so i used it as an excuse to start learning and playing

5. SwingPlayer

SwingPlayer New Friend

Apr 7, 2011
    I.E. SoCal
    i was 8, 3rd grade

6. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    I bet a Harmon mute would let you fit in with the Bluegrass sound - like adding a little twang to the horn.

One of the nice things about playing as we get a little older is, at least for me, the desire to be the lead guy all the time begins to lessen. Just because I can play the parts, I no longer need to. It's actually nice to play a nice strong harmony part and hear the section fill out.

We've been talking about ways to also do some young musician's outreach in our area. Not sure what form that's going to take yet, but we're talking about organizing a "day of music". Basically get people to gather in a local park as a kind of large "pick-up" band - hand out music that can go in a lyre - and just play.

7. Tim Kennedy

Tim Kennedy New Friend

Dec 19, 2009
    kentucky
    I was 12 years old, now 56 and haven't stopped playing. Have been a pro/am trumpet player since age 15.

My first horn was an R-medalist Cornet by Reynolds I think.

8. hippie68

hippie68 New Friend

Jul 30, 2011
    Lumberton, MS
    I started playing trumpet at 11. I'm 18 now, and my first and only trumpet as of right now is a ratty old cheap Borg trumpet my mom bought me cause she thought I'd quit, ha, proved her wrong.

9. ruling

ruling New Friend

Apr 24, 2011
    The Monadnocks, NH
    I started playing trumpet at 14½ and quit when I was 16. I think I had an Olds then.

I'm 53 now and bought a flugelhorn this June. I'm having a great time.

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Started at 12. Stopped at 18. Started back at 32. Don't plan on stopping till my last breath. First three horns were Bundys. Playing a Marcinkiewicz CG470 now.