What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    I started playing at age 9, in fourth grade. My first teacher used to bring his violin to my lessons! (Fortunately, my brother-in-law played trumpet professionally and attended Berklee and was always available to help me out). My parents rented a Holton Collegiate for the first 6 months, then bought me a Selmer Bundy. I took lessons from my first teacher for 3 years, then moved to a teacher who actually played the trumpet. I spent 3 years with that teacher, and then took lessons from my brother-in-law through college. I bought my brother-in-law's King Silver Flair (that he was going to trade in for a Benge) when I was a Sophomore in high school, and still play it.

I played for nearly 45 years when a couple of major surgeries put my trumpet playing on the shelf for 5 years. I'm a bit over a year into my "comeback", and practicing 2 to 4 hours daily and playing in our church orchestra (second chair) again. I'm working hard to recover and improve my skills. It's a GREAT blessing to be playing again!

Steve

2. Jan Province

Jan Province New Friend

Oct 26, 2010
    Age 65. My horn came from a flea market.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What? A trumpet? Cornet? Other? Brand? Has someone with recognized ability to play checked it out for you? Slides operate well? Valves the same? Lube slides and oil valves frequently! Above all, swab leadpipe and keep rest of instrument clean. There are many great deals at flea markets and thrift stores moreso in non-metro areas.

I still enjoy playing all my brass instruments and I'm 75.

4. andrew_cz

andrew_cz New Friend

Oct 20, 2010
    Czech Republic
    started when i was 6 years old and still playing and studying conservatory with focus on jazz and classic and i dont really know name of the trumpet, i think it was Amati.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I don't know the quality of an Amati brand, I began with what we here in the U.S. call a "stencil" re-labeled "Pitt-American" as was really manufactured in what was then Czechoslovakia. I played it from the 5th grade, age 11, though 10th grade, a junior in American high schools, when I bought a Martin handcraft. Both were "lost" as contributed to a very long lapse of not playing, except for some in college, but I've now been playing again since the fall of 2004, with yet another lapse due to health and dental issue, and now am 75 years old and playing again.

6. Teledmd

Teledmd New Friend

Jul 20, 2011
    I started playing when I was 8 years old. My first horn was a Bundy. Not the greatest horn, but quite durable for a third grader!

7. andrew_cz

andrew_cz New Friend

Oct 20, 2010
    Czech Republic
    hi Ed,

I think its not good quality instrument. I think nobody want to play on in in Czech Republic. But they are better then they were. But students on basic art school play on it because its cheap and doesnt matter so much about quality. So thats the reason.
    have a nice day and enjoy playing!

Andrew

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I bought my Czech stencil used from neighbor in 1945 for $35 USD with money earned from selling newspapers as was my pathway into playing trumpet as I began on school provided Eb mellophone ( I also still play an F mellophone now. ). Perhaps your Amati compared to US Bundys as were low end student quality instruments once very popular here. Where they were made originally I don't yet know and have no interest in determining, but later instruments were improved and actually made by Selmer. With exception of two, my Martin and my Schilke piccolo trumpet, the latter as too may have been previously owned, all my brass instruments are pre-owned and only of student quality and in this category of quality I'll also make exception of my Conn Artist euphonium.

Amati brand lays upon the reknown of Nicolo Amati who taught Antonio Stradivarius how to make violins.

9. jim trpt1

jim trpt1 Pianissimo User

Aug 7, 2010
    greensboro nc
    I started at 8 in third grade.....Played and Olds Ambassador cornet..Still playing at 53 and loving it.

10. flacotechs

flacotechs New Friend

Aug 4, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I started playing in 7th grade, aged 12 (I'm 33 now). Kept playing in concert, marching and jazz band up through the end of high school. Played in jazz band and in a mariachi through college and then stopped until about a year ago. I started out on a Yamaha and then inherited a Holton LeBlanc from my grandfather. Times got tough and I had to sell that horn (much to my dismay) and now I'm playing on a Schmidt student model that I'm renting from the local music shop until I can afford a decent horn.