What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I started at about 16 years old . Never played any organized band.
    Had an original no name horn and when my father (who played a gloriouse wooden flute) thought I may stick with it, he bought me a Selmer about 1958.
    I played until someone stole it about a year ago.
    I now play a Callet Jazz.

Dropped off playihng until about 25 years ago when a guy invited me to play jam sessions, since I cannot read or know anything.
    I have played at the 23rd st cafe and a few other jams for the past 14 years I actually learned there by PLAYING
    I am now 73 years old.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Why is it that we "lose" our original instruments? My first and second got "lost" simultaneously as was only one factor creating may lapse of 40+ years. Then another much shorter lapse occurred beyond my self ability to change, but at age 75 I'm now back at it. One difference is that I have been able to sight read music, including many transpositions from one instrument to another and I've the ability to play all the brass horns. It's really enjoyable now!

3. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I did not "lose" my horn. Some SOB stole the horn my parents gave me 50 years ago.
    The one I hoped to pass to my kids and the one I had adapted to so that I matched the resistance and learned to make the the crowd love my tone and sound
    It may not have been the greatest horn but in my hands it was super!
    When I played it, it was part of me.
    The Callet is a nice horn, easy to play, notes in the right place, but not strong enough for me

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Period, you lost it to the "SOB" that took it.

I lost both of mine to my first ex while I was deployed overseas in the USAF. Either she sold them, pawned them, or gave them to her younger brother was never determined. I did get judgement against her for the loss but the financial compensation was depreciated, but I did get much more revenge when the judge declared she was NOT due any alimony from me whereas it was shown she was then living in another man's house, adjudging her action to be of immoral character if not adultery. Too, her new beau was let go from the construction company he had worked for. Literally they both were osterized and shunned in the community and subsequently moved to another state. Ha! She did marry him and later divorced him also. Having been a LEO I had access to resources to locate her, but didn't myself although an associate did and told me ... now 45 years ago.

5. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    You win!
    Having been through a world class divorce I understand.

6. Lyndon

Lyndon New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Lancashire, UK
    I was particularly interested to read this as I've just started too, at 53. I work fairly regularly with a professional trumpet quartet from London (I'm an organist), and have always wanted to learn the trumpet :-)

7. Teledmd

Teledmd New Friend

Jul 20, 2011
    Flacotechs,

Buy a used Yamaha student model off of ebay. It will cost you about what a year rental for a student horn costs from the music store (If the rental price is the same as here in New York.) When you want to upgrade, you can resell it for about what you paid for it.

I have bought 2 Yamahas this way for a few of my friends kids starting. They are nice horns for the price and hold their value. :thumbsup:

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

10. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    What I was trying to convey was I never played in a high school band nor did I ever attempt to play with, lets say "a bunch of guys with a group name", since I cannot read.
    I can listen to the song being played by a group or sung and then play as long as I have a good keyboard player even if I do not know the ditty. I once made a file of the songs I knew for a group so they could accomodate me. I stopped at 600. That told me I have about 1,000 tunes in my head. As long as you do not start with that, "what key" stuff,
    or what is the first note I am OK. I do not know what note it is when I press the valve 1+2 but I usually can start playing on the right note by myself so they can pick up on it
    Everybody has their own skill. I can't play any sports with any skill to save my soul. I was what you call a "permaneant right fielder" when I was a kid

)