What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes Pat, you were very clear, and we understood - we were just messing with your mind a bit, but all in fun.

I too couldn't read music as a comeback (crisis) player so I went and bought a small book - about $16 - and taught myself that skill. I don't have it all, but the stuff in my head is supplimented by the questions I ask when I see something "new".

Pat, it's really quite simple - essentially, if you can count to eight, and are not completely blind, you can add to your other skills and learn to read music. I can't play by ear to save my life (I've only got little ears you see ;-)).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ted, I can't play be ear either, but my wife can. Drives me nuts:dontknow::roll::oops:

3. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    I started in 3rd grade. Not sure how old that is, but first trumpet was a king beginner trumpet and not sure of model but played it up till I got a strad in HS and silver flair after HS when joined army.Parents got rid of my strad and thats why I got the silver flair, but x wife got rid of silver flair when I deployed in 2001 and now I am looking for a horn to get back into playing at 32.

4. Jomomma

Jomomma New Friend

Sep 19, 2011
    I started playing in 1964 at the age of 9. My dad bought me an Olds Ambassador. Played all through school until 1973. I recently resurrected it from retirement. After a 38 year retirement and arduous practice, I have regained most of my playing skills and will soon join a community band in my area.

5. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    What do you mean too old. I am 73 and blow the roof off a club or 2 every week

turtlejimmy likes this.
  6. suejones

suejones New Friend

Apr 13, 2011
    I started playing to help my daughter when she was 9 & I was 30. In 1 year she was better than me & I stopped I started again when I was 50. My teacher made me do flexibility exercises for 3 years until I was convinced I would never be able to play. I stopped lessons, & then a friend asked me to play in the community band. I spent the first rehearsal completly unable to follow. Where am I, Where am I? What's a coda, where is the repeat... 11 years later I can follow everything usually, & I'm an OK 3rd trumpet. I'm still very keen, but at 64 I feel my ambition of being another Maurice André will not be fulfilled!!

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Suejones - you learnt a vital lesson very early on - that there will always be others better than each of us. Rejoice, though, because you are still ABLE to pick up a trumpet and make music - perhaps 'only' as a 3rd trumpeter, but you are among a very fine bunch of trumpeters.

Many of us are comebackers like you, and some of us should probably be playing the Harmonica, but we, like you, chose to come back to our trumpets and we are a force to be reckoned with. Ask a good lead trumpet what he/she needs, and if they are honest, they will say a good 3rd trumpet :cool: The lead in my concert band section said to me only last night - "I like it that you are able to give me the basis to fly."

As to your ambition, life often gets in the way of that, adjust your sights and trumpet on with joy.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Maurice Andre'..Who's he? Beter than me, at what he does! BUT, I bet I can box his ears in a Jazz jam!
    Point being; Count your blessings! You can "make music". What a gift, what a joy for you and the audience. Look at all the folks who come to hear you becasue they enjoy music but envy you
    that you can create it. That is what they are telling you with their applause.
    Smile, you are and envied man. Lean back and enjoy the warm appreciation of the audience.
    AND with the right attitude and the"Good lord willing and the creeks don't rise" you will get to enjoy it day after day!

9. Sam Watkins

Sam Watkins New Friend

Jan 18, 2011
    Texas
    I started in 6th grade, which I think is still pretty typical for Texas public schools. Played through high school, then quit. My comeback is on-hold with a newborn at home. I may have found someplace near work to practice over lunch, so there is still a chance.

10. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I started playing at age 12 in 1969, back when a Bach 7C mouthpiece cost 9 bucks!! The 7C was my first mouthpiece, and my first horn was a Holton Collegiate (don't know when it was made). I still have the Collegiate, but it needs some work now to get it back into playing condition (then again, so do I at the moment). My current horn, which I've had since about halfway through my junior year of high school, is listed in my signature.