What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I just had a new experience last night
    As I mentioned earlier I just swapped my other Trumpet and flugel for the 2 Bachs in my signature. I wanted a stronger trumpet and softer Flugel
    I finally had someone record me on an I-phone so I could hear what I was doing wrong. (I recceomend this for everyone) I did a warm plaintiff flugel "That's all I ask" and got a gal to actually tear up. Then I got "to tear it up" with the Bach 73. Boy is that a strong sound! The applause and whistles made my day. I sure hope with all the hours, days, weeks, months and years of practicing you all get to experience the rush when you hear and see the emotion these instruments can evoke from folks in the audience

2. bengela7

bengela7 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2011
    Georgia, US
    i started in 5th grade with a Blessing BTR-1266

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    10 years old...Now i'm 30...That doesn't mean I have 20 years experience and play professionally. I'm still pretty bad. But darn it I try.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You HAVE 20 years experience - but not twenty years on the trumpet. I have 48 years experience, but not anywhere that much on the trumpet.

5. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Pretty bad - compared to what? Vizzuti or your expectation of enjoyment based on your desire, time and effort invested?
    What kind of music and where do you play? What kind and where would you like to play? How much time and effort do you invest to have a great time playing what and where you would like to play.

6. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
    Started in 1971 at age 7 in Baldwinsville NY. My next door neighbor was a band director named Miked Alferi who gave me my first lessons and found a horn for me. I moved a year later and never have crossed paths with him again. He started me down the path with a 1968 Conn 16B that has lasted 40 years now and is still going strong. Thanks Mike!!!

7. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I started at the age of 12 and my first trumpet was a Getzen.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    The trumpet always was my dream instrument... and the only thing I got as a kid was one of these ten-"valve" toy trumpets... so I got busy with my Grandad's saw and reduced the number of valves to a proper three - with the result, that I did not get a replacement, ""because you're always just ruining things". As there was a piano in the house, I had to start on that, and God, I HATED it. The first year wasn't too bad - my teacher was a nice Hungarian lady. But she returned home, and my next one was a dragon of the old-fashioned sort - complete with a ruler that came whack down on my fingers at every mistake... four long years...
    Finally, at age 22, I happened to win a bugle in a tombola, put myself in front of a mirror with the cover of my favourite Maurice André record beside my face, and practised my embouchure... Next day I went into the nearest music store, and got myself their "Trumpet Starter Kit" - a Chinese Comet (which I still have and play at soccer games!) with mouthpiece, cleaning kit and case... 50 bucks... And a week later I got myself a 37 Strad... which was a dud (assembled out of spare parts in some backyard shop), and then my first Ganter G7... never looked back, and have never touched a piano since!

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Age 10 - fifth grade, Olds Ambassador.

10. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    I was 16, now just turned 17 and on a yamaha 4335g as I was inspired by my dad. :)