What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I started.. Hmm... Last June? I have no idea what I'm doing.

2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Eight

3. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    4th grade. 9 years old.

4. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    I started at 10 years old in grammar school. I sold newspapers and shined shoes to buy my first horn which was a pawn shop Holton "Al Hirt Special" that I still own after 39 years. I paid 80 dollars which for a ten year old might as well have been a thousand dollars, but they let me put it on layaway for a few months. The pawn shop owner even kicked in 5 dollars for my last payment.

Some of the best training for stamina and getting my chops in shape as a young lad was when I played soprano horn in the Drum Bugle Corps for three years.

I had a 15 year or so hiatus and have started playing again last Fall. I play a Yamaha YTR 6335 S but still play my old Holton once in a great while. Both horns are in great shape and were serviced regularly. Oddly enough, I usually play with the same Rudy Muck mouthpiece that came with my old trumpet: a re-plated 19C.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    10 in 5th grade (I skipped 3rd grade) 1st attempting to play school provided FH, and a year later for $35.00 bought preowned silver plated stencil house branded Pitt-American marketed by Volkweins in Pittsburgh PA which as of 2013 Volkweins are stiil in business and I'll be 77). Left it at home and by first wife "lost" it while in USAF overseas ... likewise a new Martin (Committee???).Beginning again in 1960 I rented a Getzen (???) for 3 years while in college, and then a hiatus until 2006 when I began my comeback.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Eight years old, started in the learners class with local brass band. Had an old Boosey cornet that my dad found somewhere that was in two pieces and had to be repaired before I could start. Stopped playing in 1988 for some stupid reason. Now, just another come-backer with a nasty dose of n+1.

Great to read everyone's stories.

tj

7. Swerve

Swerve New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    Mount Vernon, New York
    I started Playing trumpet @ age 8.

My first horn was a Yamaha 2320 @ age 12.

I took a trumpet hiatus from ages 19 - 34 and i'm currently 2 months into my comeback, playing 45 minutes every day, and having a blast.
    marc

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    7th grade, age 12. My first horn was a Blessing student trumpet from a pawn shop, and it cost my parents $150 in 1990. I remember it as a "B1" but I can't find that on the internet, so just assume it was the cheapest Blessing trumpet made in the late 1980s.

9. Chris-cornet

Chris-cornet New Friend

At about age 7, (46 now so coming up for 40 years soon )
    my very first trumpet was an old used B&M Champion( this was quite beat up)
    Swapped for a CONN 16B when I proved to my dad I was going to stick at it (at about aged 11 or 12)
    Moved to Cornet when I joined a Brass band at 14 (B&H imperial Belonged to the Band)

Then bought a procession of cornets myself whenI was finally earning and could buy my own.

Besson sovereign (medium bore)
    Besson sovereign (large bore)
    Yamaha Maestro (My current cornet and would not part with it)
    Virtuosi 128 (use this for marching as I would be devistated if i dropped my Yammy)

I also now own a Holton -Leblanc Arturo Sandoval Flugel (Flugel is my favourite position in a brass band, although at present I am sitting on Principal cornet.

Purchased a Jupiter slide trumpet ( just for fun)

Only just purchased a Yamaha 6340ST trumpet as i have a hankering to play trumpet again.

Chris

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. MTS

MTS New Friend

Jul 17, 2011
    Age 10....1st tpt = York....a thumbnail flick of the bell sounded about the same as if done on a foil gum wrapper. Have played continuously since...63 years. I now play a better horn but every day I'm approaching the sound and technique I had on that York