What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia

2. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA

3. retro23

retro23 Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Andalucia Spain
    When I got my front teeth... about 8 years old I think. First horn was an ELKHORN by GETZEN... still have it.

4. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    I actually started twice because we moved. In Indiana they were putting me on a cornet at age 8 in 3rd grade but we moved back south and I had to wait until 7th grade to resume my music at age 13. I could have had 5 more years of playing experience if we had just stayed where we were.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I KNEW IT!!! A Born-Again Trumpet Player... Save us all... Save us all... Save us all!

6. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I have been around music all my life but I just started playing the trumpet last year at the age of 20 any one who tells you its too late is lying; I practiced alot last summer and Ive managed to play in my colleges small Jazz band and I actually have couple recordings. I constantly have to remind myself to stop beating myself up for not getting started earlier, but everything happens for a reason. I met Christian Scott a famous trumpeter at the Bohemian Caverns last year and he said " never stop playing man" and I haven't. I love all my late starters I feel much less lonely....

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    The trumpet comes to those who are ready to receive it.

I also played music all my life - starting with piano before I was 5. When I was in middle school, I sat down in the trumpet section the first day of band. The director, seeing a huge row of potential trumpeters and sparse interest in the other sections, asked if any of us wanted to try something different. I wasn't yet wedded to the trumpet, so I went and sat with the saxophones. He handed me a tenor - way too big for me - which I honked on for 3 years and developed a healthy, brass-centric, derision for reed instruments as a result. Upon entering high school, I decided I wanted to be a drummer in the marching band. This turned out to be a good move - helps to develop a good sense of rhythm and timing. During my sophomore year a friend was playing a trumpet, very badly, and I thought I might like to try that. I was quickly hooked and over 30 years later, I can't imagine not playing trumpet.

Years after starting to play trumpet, I was in a community band that for a time was lead by the same middle school band director. I would remind him of my 5 lost, formative years, on trumpet and would muse about what I lost from that decsion. Or would I have left the trumpet behind, like I did with the sax, and missed out on all the pleasure I've had playing the horn?

8. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Nice/Interesting.... I believe everything happens for a reason. My desire to play and learn is greater now than ever and it definitely keeps me going. f I was like 12 I would have probably thrown in the towel.
    A trumpeter named Ambrose Akinmusire who is just genius speaks of the same benefits of playing drums and his timing; he studied a syncopation book drummers use to improve his timing. Also Im sure you learned a great deal playing the sax even though you would have rather spent that time on your horn. I actually want to learn the sax but I don't know if I want to share any time with my trumpet ha-ha maybe after I go pro.

9. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Believe it or not: I started on trumpet just two years ago, at the age of 44 (and thereĀ“s so much more I hope...)
    Yes, a late start :oops:
    Had been a trombone player for 32 years though. Finally found my way into the higher register.:roll:;-)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  10. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I first started playing trumpet when I was in sixth grade, and I'm an eighth grader right now.
    My first trumpet was a Yamaha brand, and I still use it today :)