What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. bfoster68

bfoster68 New Friend

Jun 4, 2013
    Spring Hill
    OLDS AMBASSADOR Vintage Trumpet and Case 1962

I think it was an Ambassador but honestly I really do not know. I remember is was solid and heavy. It was really old....i have no idea how old honestly. It looked a lot like this but really tarnished and the bell was dinged up. Even the case matches my old one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    Bundy cornet 9 yrs old. 67 now, never stopped. Bach 72* large lightweight is my favorite now.

3. Randall Nelson

Randall Nelson Mezzo Piano User

Nov 26, 2011
    WA State
    I started to play in 7th grade on a 50's (?) Buescher Aristocrat I bought from my cousin. I took lessons from 8th through 12th grades then quit and later gave the horn to my daughter when she was 12.

I tried coming back in 1984. I bought a Bach Mercedes a couple of years before that and still have it though I didn't start to try and come back seriously until 2008. Have lots of horns and it keeps my interest...I always play at least two horns when I play.

4. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    6th grade
    ytr1335

5. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I started in 5th grade and stopped in...5th grade.

Then the HBO show Treme came on, and it ignited something in me, so, at 45, i restarted, couldn't be happier.

6. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    10 year, started learning music at 9.

7. duckwheaat

duckwheaat New Friend

Jun 5, 2013
    I started playing in 5th grade, on a cheap little amati. I also quit in 5th grade and got into drums because I couldn't read treble clef. 6 years later, as a high school junior I'm picking it up again to try and round myself out as a musician (I play percussion, double bass, guitar and had a little stint on tenor sax earlier this year) and maybe march it in renegades or scv next year instead marching a set of 50 pound quads another season.

8. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    I started learning at aged 11 in the 7th grade (or the 1st year of secondary school as it was then) :D
    I started playing on a York USA (that's what it said on the bell) my dad bought it, I believe it was £68 back in 1972

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  9. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I started in the 4th grade with a used Conn unknown model (sure wish I still had that horn for sentimental reasons (sounds like a good song title)). I traded that horn for a Connstellation in 1962. I still have and play that Connstellation and there is not even a ding anywhere.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  10. Fezman92

Fezman92 New Friend

Sep 14, 2008
    I've been playing for about 8-10 years or so. I stared back in middle school with a Yamaha (still have it) and once I started marching band my 1st year high school I got a 30 year old Bach TR300 which I still use. I don't play as often as I used to but I manage to get some time in once in a few months.