What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I desperately wanted to learn trumpet when I was 12 but was told it was too difficult and too expensive.
    At 28 (still no musical training) someone loaned me a trombone that I taught myself for 2 years then I finally got a beat up Yamaha 232 for $50. After that a Conn Severinsen 1000B and Yamaha 231 flugel and so on and so on...

2. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    Started on trombone in summer band at 8. Switched to trumpet that fall.
    First trumpet was an Olds Ambassador.

3. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    I was 12 years old and was in sixth grade when I started playing trumpet. My first horn was an old student Yamaha cornet.

4. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    6 years old. Started in 1959 on a '49 Pan American cornet (still have it, mounted on a plaque). First trumpet was a Holton Collegiate.

Bill

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Age 10, on a well-used gritty, greenish "Silvertone" that had nothing to do with instruments of the same name manufactured by H. N. White. Perhaps that was my parents' punishment for my having given up on accordion (hey, we only had one private music teacher in town, and that's all she knew). Around the time I turned 13, I acquired a like-new 1951 Olds Recording cornet I still have.

6. alexbegins24

alexbegins24 New Friend

May 28, 2008
    I started playing trumpet at age 24. I am 25 going on 26 and I feel great about playing this instrument. The trumpet I began on is a Conn Director trumpet. I am anxious about repairing an Olds Ambassador soon. To all young and old, I hope the love of the trumpet continues.

7. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    I was in either fourth of fith grade, 9 or 10 years old. My trumpet was from ebay for $200 from china. I do not know what the name of it is because the etching is bad. I am in high school now, and I still play my first trumpet. the pics of my first trumpet are in my album. If you want more pics, just ask. :play:

8. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    I started at age 7 on a Bach 72/43* and a 1 1/2C mpc. Learned three scales my first day. I still remember my first private lesson when I was 11. One of the first things my teacher asked was how in hell I could make a noise on such big equipment! The second thing he did was take me shopping for a new mouthpiece (ended up on a 5C and was much more comfortable). Seven years later I have the same teacher but quite a few more horns.

9. VegasBoy

VegasBoy New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    Started at Age 8 with a used Bach, at age 12 my parents purchased for me a brand new Yamaha YTR738, and man that sucker could really blow! I played it though my high school and college years, pep band, marching band, Jazz Band, Concert Band, as well as, a small performance ensemble in college. I put away the horn at age 25 (HUGE MISTAKE).... I have just started up again at age 46 with a piece of junk Chinese model....But, it's helped me get my wind and chops back into shape.... I just purchased a Conn 60B Super Constellation.... Awesome Horn! SO, I'm another middle-aged "comeback player" :thumbsup:

Any info on the Conn 60B would also be greatly appreciated... :play:

Thanks.

10. renedom21

renedom21 New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    i started playing in the 6th grade and still playling...im know a sophomore (wooh!!! c/o '11) and i still use my first horn...a Severin with a mouthpiece that has no size on it