What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I was age 10 with a rock'in Bundy (but not Al Bundy)... it served me well until I was about 17 and traded up for my Getzen Eterna 700

2. zohar166

zohar166 Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2010
    I had start at age of 10. my first trumpet was a BUNDY.
    now I have my beautiful Bach strad 43

3. M Baker

M Baker New Friend

Jan 15, 2014
    Seattle
    1968, 11 years old. First trumpet was a Bundy then a few years later my folks got me a silver plated Eterna Getzen Severinsen with Amado water keys that always seemed to get stuck. I sold it in the late 1970's. I did find a pre-Amado water key Severinsen model - not as a daily player as I love my X3L Tumable Bell. But the Severinsen I acquired is a nod to my beginnings and to one of the best musicians we have known.

4. MatanLevy

MatanLevy New Friend

Nov 7, 2013
    Tel Aviv
    I started playing in fourth grade. My school offered a band program and i wanted to choose saxophone. So many people wanted sax and they had a lottery. I wasnt chosen, so i got my second choice wich was trumpet. Been playing ever since and im in tenth grade in an arts school majoring jazz

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Little did you know, but you actually were one of the chosen ones... as are we all here on TM.

6. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I was headed into fourth grade, and just 9 years old. That was back in 1984. My first horn was a Holton Collegiate, which I still have. A few years later, I got braces and it was really hard for me to play. I persevered, however, and when those braces came off, I found renewed enthusiasm for playing.

I was very lucky to live in a school district that had an amazing music program and even better instructors.

7. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Two starts, two different paths. First: age 11 or so, a no-name metal clarinet that I found in my parents' attic. That led to a many years long on-off affair with all sorts of reeds, eventually culminating in baritone sax. Fast forward: 57, starting on a 1911 Holton New Proportion cornet with leaky old valves. In spite of the leaks, a fine horn with a lovely, lyrical tone that infected me with N+1 disease. All these years, I had no idea what I was missing (and I still love reeds). I'm very glad to have a great teacher and a great community of players for support.

8. A.B.

A.B. New Friend

Mar 4, 2014
    Del Rio, TX
    Started at age 11 with a 1988 Bach TR300. I played until age 19 and lost my way.

I recently found my '88 Bach and am in the process of a tune up so I can start playing again.

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Age 10. Conn Vocabell picked up in a thrift shop for $25.00

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Beats Tom's Vocabell deal!