What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Age 12 in 1963. I was playing a bugle with NO MOUTHPIECE in it. My parents thought I perhaps would like a trumpet.

First horn was Buescher Aristrocrat. Played it for seven years. Wish I had it back. Traded it for Selmer Modified K. Still have it. Anybody interested? :)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    WHAT!!! I would have reported your parents to Children's Protective Services!!!!

3. thomasando

thomasando New Friend

Aug 1, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    My dad is a trumpeter, and I could make a sound out of a horn before I could speak.... not sure if that counts as 'playing'...!

I started learning properly when I was 5, first instrument was a Boosey and Hawkes Imperial cornet. I've been playing continuously, aside from one year off. I'm now going on 31.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Huh I forgot to contribute. Age 10 with my grandfather's horn.

Tom

5. WyldeBill66

WyldeBill66 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    Started in 7th grade. When music classes are first available in school. I had a rental briefly, then a beat up old Conn horn. Step dad wasn't interested in spending money on a good instrument for me, even though I played trumpet because that's what he played and would only pay for a trumpet. I now play a 1938 King Silvertone. I think I traded up...Now I just need to get back to playing it...

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Was it a Buescher? :roll:

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Yes, it was. It was because of that horn that my whole Buescher fascination started. No one I ever played with had one like it.

Tom

8. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    Started playing at qge 11 in the 6th grade. I forget the name. Some cheapo brand thats no longer in production. Syarted playing again last year, at 32, on the Bach Omega I bought in high school.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- the very best trumpet players (uhm, Bugelists for the English translation aka Rapier likes that spelling the best - ROFL ROFL ROFL) --but the very best bugle/trumpet players can play very well without a mouthpiece ------ the rest of us have to cheat a bit, and use a mouthpiece ((I have an interesting story about Phil Driscoll in a live concert demonstrating various "cheap garage sale trumpets", and also various mpcs, and also the use of NO MOUTHPIECE -- where all of the methods sounded pretty much the same)) --- I guess that was to prove that the "equipment" does not really matter as much as the PLAYER. play and be happy!!

10. Fluegel-Boy

Fluegel-Boy Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2013
    I started playing at age 9 at the end of 3rd grade.

My first trumpet was a York National.