What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Earth calling Rapier --- please help me out with the spelling!!! FLUEGEL? FLUGLE? FLUGEL? ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- of course I started playing the TRUMPET at 5th grade and have pretty much played the instrument since then ---EXCEPT for a 10 year break in one practice session!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

bumblebee likes this.
  2. isuckattrumpet

isuckattrumpet Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2013
    God Bless America
    Started playing when I was eight... which was about nine years ago.
    My first horn was some old scratched up Yamaha we rented from a local music shop. Unlike a lot of kids nowadays, my parents weren't the ones who decided that I should play an instrument. I just heard my neighbor playing the Star Wars theme one day, and I was obsessed with the movie, so I asked my mom if I could get lessons. Turned out that my neighbor was a professional musician and he ended up giving me lessons for about five years, until I moved away. :)

3. Auburn Tiger

Auburn Tiger New Friend

Dec 7, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    I started at the young age of 12, which was the earliest you could start band in Auburn. First horn was a King 1501, great horn to put a beginner on. It plays up there with some pro level horns. It plays better to me than a friend's Xeno. Recently bought a Strad for college and beyond, although I'm a freshman...

4. Supertoastfairy

Supertoastfairy New Friend

Mar 23, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been playing for eight-nine years. I started in second grade with a pocket trumpet. In third grade I switched to a standard Bb trumpet (which I still use today) and I'm currently entering my junior year in high school.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Welcome to TM Supretoastfairy. Cool about starting out on the pocket trumpet. I am 40 years behind you as I just got my first pocket trumpet last month. Love the horn. What kind of bands and music do have you been playing in your Junior year?

6. Supertoastfairy

Supertoastfairy New Friend

Mar 23, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Been playing mostly pop and jazz (Latin, swing, big band, etc) songs. I'm in the school's jazz band, in an independent band for paying gigs and I also play out on the street.

I think songs like Alianza, Oye Cómo Va, Sway, It Had to be You and Bahía de Manzanillo have been my favorite to play so far.

7. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    In seventh grade I tried out for our glee club. The music teacher told me to take up an instrument that covers my mouth. That's when I picked up the horn.

8. Charles652011

Charles652011 New Friend

Sep 26, 2010
    Indiana, USA
    Reedman, so good to see that you were finally turned in the right direction and along a course similar to mine. My middle school band director also steered me to reeds due to an over abundance of trumpet players and because an older brother had already begun teaching me clarinet. That was in 1957. Well the table has been turned on both of them. While recovering from a critical illness, I decided that should I survive, I would get on course and learn brass instruments.

Just passed my fourth anniversary on trumpet with my main horn, a 1959 Conn 6B. I also have a 1911 Holton New Proportion cornet, serial number 13,xxx. Love it. More important than anything else, I have learned to form a somewhat flute-like embouchure, make a tiny aperture, blow soft and easy, keep the corners tight, and slip almost effortlessly into a high C and beyond. Tone, focus and consistency above the staff need a lot of work, but I am happy.

I would also say that getting that teacher is crucial as well as meeting other veteran trumpet players who have never turned me down for suggestions when I have asked for help. When I get to a double high C, I'm going on the road.

9. TrumpetPlayerII

TrumpetPlayerII New Friend

Sep 18, 2013
    Denmark
    Started when I was 9 years old, thats about 10 years ago.. :cool:

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Twelve, I think, and I have no idea what make horn it was. When I was 10 a cousin of mine got a new trumpet and asked me if I wanted his old cornet. Another cousin gave me a lesson, and that's as far as I went.

When I was 12, our English teacher came into my geography classroom and asked if anyone wanted to play in a school band that he was forming up. I just sat there disinterested. Then he added this little jewel - if you played in band, you didn't have to do PE, which I never liked, and at that moment we were doing basketball, which I really hated. My hand shot up in the air. And that's when I actually started playing. Pretty funny how cavalier I was considering I went on to make a career out of music. I and my parents thought that if I was going to do it I might as well do it right, so they got me a teacher.

The horn my cousin gave me was an Austrian-made cornet old as the hills. The valves froze so my dad got me a horn that worked, an American student model cornet, no idea what make. I played that for a couple of years, got a Selmer trumpet for a short time and then got a brand new Connstellation which I played for the rest of my school years and part of college.