What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    Started when I was 33 years old, eight years ago... after a bike "accident-crash" that seriously damaged my right arm and made me stop playing the violin, which I was playing since I was 10. My first trumpet was an unexpensive and crappy no-brand trumpet which I was able to buy after selling a small oil painting I did entitled: "The Depressed Clown With His Violin". That's my story...

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Wow. Going from violin to trumpet. That's a stark contrast.

3. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    I actually loved playing reeds and did so by choice. And now I love playing cornet and trumpet.

4. Tberry841

Tberry841 New Friend

Dec 18, 2014
    I started violin at around 4th grade and played for a good 4 years until I decided to play trumpet, I've been playing now for 2 and a half years and it's wonderful!

Got my first and only horn, a getzen capri, (30ish yrs old I assume,) from a local pawn shop, very excited about pursuing the trumpet, woot woot

5. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    I started playing in the fourth grade, and did so until I was 28 when family obligations intervened. I played a Conn Director initially, with a Conn mouthpiece, until I was in junior high school when it was replaced by a French Besson, then a Selmer K modified and finally a Chicago Benge.

Returned to the trumpeter at 58, still playing at 64. Playing better than ever.

6. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    Started at 10, playing through the school year. Picked it back up at 14 at the behest of my band director (stage band) while I was playing drums. Played through high school and one semester of college. Pawned my horn to pay rent in 1997. Don't remember any of the rentals I played...I'm sure they had names...but I played the industry standard Strad in high school (the one I pawned--I know.) Now I'm on a Roy Benson whatever after 21+ away.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I thought the same thing, but then I met the guy playing trumpet next to me who is even better on the violin, and hasn't quit either one. He does local shows and gigs (I'm almost certain on violin) but could also keep up on Trumpet as well.
    As for me, I started on the Trombone in 4th grade, playing a hand-me-down Trombone played in the military during WWll owned by my uncle. Arms were too short to reach 6 and 7th position, and it only lasted a little while. Somehow I switched to trumpet in 6th grade after my older brother switched from Trumpet to Trombone. I don't recall having an overwhelming desire to do so. I think it was the practical side of my parents and thinking why buy another instrument when there it was. I don't even know the brand it was, but it was awfully bad. Never stopped playing since, now I'm in grade retired. Playing my great Getzen Eterna in the oldest community band in NJ and loving every bit of 30 plus gigs a year.

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I started at the age of 8 and started performing on stage at 9. At 74, I'm still performing in Branson.
    The Lord has best me in many ways.

9. Old Bugle Boy

Old Bugle Boy Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2015
    North Yorkshire
    Started at age 63 years and 8 months old. Now age 63 years and 10 months old. Still hard at it ...

10. Consordino

Consordino Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I began playing at 12 in the 7th grade. My first horn was a Holton trumpet. Been at it now for 46 years. Dan