What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I started late, should have been 9, but I was playing piano at 8, then alto sax at 9, then trumpet at 13.

2. Yamypappy

Yamypappy New Friend

Jul 3, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Well, if you started late, I guess I was very very late. I started at 40 or so. I'm now 63. Its never too late, and whatever music you make will help your soul.

Wade

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I was 13. CONN 15B Director N52000.

[​IMG]

4. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I started in 4th grade, at age 9, played through college, then continued with community bands until age 29 or so. Then stopped playing when life became busy with kids. I recently started playing again at age 56. My first horn was a Conn Director 15B which I still have, but my go to since High School has been a Bach Stradivarius.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I can see what your thinking as you look at that shiny new horn:

Oh boy, I am going to get the girls now!

I mean, what else is there to think of when you are a 13 year old boy in pajamas, right?;-)

6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Funny! I had to check that the pic was decent before I posted it. :oops: There was this really nice girl trumpet player too, but she moved out west later that year. :-( I was really hard on that horn and it has since gone on to the great gig in the sky.

7. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.

I had to think about it a bit, but when I started in the HS band the trumpets were all boys and the girls were playing clarinets? Even in college the trumpet section of the orchestra was all boys and the girls were playing violins. There was a girl on my daughters soccer team who I later found out played the trumpet in the Jazz band. The problem was that they would play a standard Jazz number and each member would have a chance to do a solo, but when they did, they would just rip and scream anything, without any reference, musically, to the piece they were playing. It made me think the conductor wasn't really teaching them anything about the pieces they were playing.

8. Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise New Friend

May 15, 2015
    Way late for me, 41.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    The Age of Enlightenment

10. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015