What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. SonicBlast

SonicBlast New Friend

May 7, 2009
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
    I started in 5th grade at 10 years old. I'm 16 now. I had a Blessing, i still have it as a backup but i'm not sure off the top of my head what model it is.

2. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    I started in fifth grade at nine or ten. My first horn was some student Getzen.

3. 72*

72* New Friend

Nov 29, 2008
    started in 6th grade on a yamaha 233S shepherds crook cornet. After a couple years on that I switched to a 1978-1979 72*. I still have them both and play them today.

4. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Fifth grade on a (used) Conn Coprion Director. Played it through college and stopped for about ten years, then picked it up again in a community band and shortly thereafter moved up to a Benge/Martin horn that I still play. (It's one of Mic Gillette's old horns, supposedly a prototype for the Magna.) I still have the Conn, and recently had the bell damage (from one cold night on the football field) properly repaired. (I couldn't really afford having it done at the time, and did the best I could.) I've only recently realized that I've now got more time in the CB than in my school 'career'. Wild.

5. catwoman

catwoman New Friend

May 13, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Started about 10 years old played throughout school. Played a little in the military and just decided to pick it back up after 25 years! My first trumpet was a yamaha but cant remember what model. I have a getzen 700 now

6. Dupee

Dupee New Friend

May 17, 2009
    I started playing in fourth grade when I was probably 8 on some Yamaha model. It had a pretty sweet lacquer on it, but it always seemed to have some problem with the valves. I stopped for a year in sixth grade, but then started right away once I was in seventh. Now I'm on an Intermediate Getzen 700. It's a pretty tough little horn and can take quite a beating while still sounding amazing.

7. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Does playing one of those xmas decoration horns count? If it does than 4 yrs old. if not then 6th grade, so 12. Quit after 12th grade so 19ish. Now that I am 24 i am picking it back up again.

8. hcrane

hcrane New Friend

Apr 1, 2007
    Chicago Area
    Started 2 1/2 years ago at 54. I'm now 56. Started on a Holton Student trumpet..a rental. Now play a Bach Strad and a Phaeton. Practice for about a half hour every day and have a good teacher. Lovin' every minute of it!

9. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    What kind of Phaeton do you play? What color?

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I started at the age of 60 with playing the trumpet. That happened in february/march 2008 when I bought a new empire brass pocket trumpet in Delhi India for twenty bucks. I didn't blow it very much but then in july 2008 I bought a Olds Ambassador cornet from a friend and started serious practising. The same month I bought a second hand Yamaha 6345G and that is my main axe now. Later I purchased a Conn 36A Concert Grand cornet and that one is for ballads. I have no teacher but played in my youth for 17 years slide-trombone (I still have that one, a Conn 6H) in dixieland and bigbands (also banjo/guitar in dixieland), after that bassguitar for years, sologuitar for a short time and then changed to classical piano, which I still play.On my trumpet I use a Curry 8,5 B (I really love the Curry's), on the Olds a Bach vintage 7C and on the Conn cornet a modified (made shortshank) Yamaha Canadian Brass regular trumpet m.p. Last one will be replaced soon by a Curry 8.5VC. High C is still difficult, the A below that is my regular range. I practise long notes, all types of scales, broken chords, and tonguing