What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. hcrane

hcrane New Friend

Apr 1, 2007
    Chicago Area
    I have a Phaeton 2030 which is the antique brushed brass model. I bought it used. It was a demo unit at a local music store. I met the guy who makes phaeton horns through my trumpet instructor. My instructor has a custom Phaeton FX that is silver plated with gold plated braces, button and trim. It is a one of a kind horn. Not one other like it.

2. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Damn, and I though I would be the youngest, but when did you start in your fifth year of life?!?!?! I was 5 years, 2 months, 8 days, 13 hours, and 15 minutes old when I started, I'm now 8 years, 3 months, 14 days, and 17 hours and 27 minutes older!

3. mb25

mb25 New Friend

Jun 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I started in 3rd grade, so I was probably 8. My first horn was a Werill student horn that my parents bought for me through the music service. Still playing now, I'm 21 and I'm playing on a Schilke S32.

mb

4. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    I started at age 37 (six months ago) and I love it. I have played guitar for years but I feel sure that I will play the trumpet (as well as guitar) for the rest of my life. For a guitarist, it's an amazing thing to experience the joy of tone - not saying that I have a good tone yet, but there is a great deal of pleasure to be obtained from trying.

Jim

5. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    I started in 5th grade with a rental TR300. I just barely turned 10 and the school offered introductory band in 5th grade. We played Hot Cross Buns and Mary Had A Little Lamb and such so I don't think it really counts (especially since I already learned how to read and play music from piano lessons) but it's when I started.

6. rspargo

rspargo New Friend

Jul 15, 2009
    Rhode Island
    started playing in 4th grade with bugle, graduated to cornet in 5th grade(10yrs old). I was given my uncles cornet, a Conn with double Y water key and the cornet was made in the late 1800s. Been playing ever since and i'm 71.

7. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I started at grade 4 in my elementary school band. My first trumpet was a gold bach something, I forget exactly. I'm now 16 and continue playing on a bach stradivarious.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Looks like this thread has been making the rounds for awhile but I guess people still want to jump in so here goes. I started in the summer of 1955 when I was 10. My first horn (like many others) was an Olds Ambassador cornet. In 1963 I gave it to my brother and bought a Selmer Invicta Trumpet. That's all I had until the 'bug' hit me a couple of months ago when I started my comeback after 30 years. I found my original Ambassador - still in great playing condition - and I still have my Invicta - looks like new. So, I guess I'm pretty lucky that way.

9. progmac

progmac Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2009
    I started when I was 26. Okay, I really started when I was 10 and quit when I was 14, but I don't even count that. I was a lousy player, no drive, never practiced, and didn't play right anyways. I probably would have been better off having not played at all before beginning at 26.

10. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Started playing at 12, Quit at 19. Restarted at 38. Played an Olds Ambassador which I bought in 1953. Great horn, but it had an odd quirk in the 2nd valve would start to stick for no apparent reason and then it would be OK for a while. No amount of cleaning, oiling would slove the problem. wish I had that horn now.:shock: