What am i doing wrong

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by aaron.s94, Jun 21, 2009.

1. aaron.s94

aaron.s94 New Friend

Jun 7, 2009
    I was playing on a bobby shew 8310z and had a strong high g and a bit above (5 leger lines) the some s.o.b. trashes my trumpet (long story but it's completley destroyed) and replaced it with an identical ytr8310z bobby shew (new) i was without it for maybe a week and i lost all my high register and it seems the more i plactice the worse i get now also there is a funny ringing sound when i use the first valve mostley on Bb and everything is tight (really tight)

can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong???

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Check your #1 valve.
    Sounds like it could be out of line. (turned)

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It might be an allignment/construction issue, which with Yamaha is about as rare as a wrong note by Maurice Andre.

The first valve would be a good place to start looking. pull the first slide, get a good light source and look down the pipe. Depress the first valve--it should give you a rough idea if the valve ports are lining up. The ringing sound might be the spring on the first valve--is the valve guide seated properly? Try rinsing/cleaning the trumpet out--sometimes polish will end up inside the instruments (again, this doesn't seem a typical Yamaha problem).

If these don't fix the problem, see if you can take it back and trade it for another new Shew.

Good luck!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you didn't practice as usual for the week that the new horn was on the way, you have found the culprit.

One event is not any reason for concern. If after 2 or three weeks things aren't comfortable, then you need to figure out what is wrong.

I am always suspicious when somebody reports that EVERYTHING went south. Somehow I ALWAYS have trouble blaming hardware.............................
    If you REALLY have a solid G an octave above the staff, practically no horn on earth can take that away.

Try looking in the mirror. Most of the time, we know what is wrong but refuse to admit it!

5. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    "also there is a funny ringing sound when i use the first valve mostley on Bb and everything is tight (really tight)"

This can be the valve guide which is not seated properly.
    The valve guide on the 8310Z is made of metal and if the
    "closers" are not placed where they should be, they are
    "resting" on the top of the valve casing.
    This can make the valve guide "sing" and the spring will
    resonate from this "song".
    The valve will be at least 5 degrees out of alignement,
    which makes the horn "fuzzy" or whatever you want to call it.

I have owned a 8310 and have been there......:oops:

If the valve is OK, then read Rowuk's post once more.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The funny ringing is the neighbors calling to complain.

7. aaron.s94

aaron.s94 New Friend

Jun 7, 2009
    thank you all for the quick reply, but i found the culprit for the ringing sound. When i got the replacement trumpet I also picked up a new stand. after playing in a few different spots and having different people try to get the ringing sound but there was never one. the only place i got the sound was in my room the only change i had made to my room had been the stand so i moved the stand and there's no more ringing on the Bb so my guess is the stand's natural frequency is somewhere near Bb (466.16 Hz).

8. nordlandstrompet

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Stands are by this statement confirmed to be in the key of Bb.....?

I guess no one did know that

:shock: :roll:ROFL

9. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Now I can blame the stand??? Sweet.......:-P

10. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I should get a ring for my stand. I love it.