What are all of the out of tune notes on a trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Feb 28, 2009.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I apologize if we've already had such a thread. I've been using the search feature and I couldn't find one. It's very possible that I've been MISusing the search feature also though ;-). Anyway, I just thought that it would be a good idea if we had a thread on this topic, and while we're at it, can anyone throw in all of the quirky notes from a trumpet, cornet, picc., flugelhorn, C and D trumpet etc.? I know that horns are different, and that none are perfectly in tune, but I want to know the notes that are messed up one everyone's horn. Like C sharp and D on a B flat horn. Thanks,

-HSO

2. rhosch

rhosch New Friend

Feb 19, 2009
    On my horn, the most noticeable ones are the low C#, D, "tuning" C, the D, E, and A above that, and at least on my horn high C# is much better in 2nd and D open.

I'd be really interested to see an "official" list, because it's been years and years since I played in a setting where anyone but me might have known. Also, I've played with my horns so long that I've forgotten what things are "supposed" to be and just adjust for my horn.

And beyond that, it would be great to have a discussion about the picc as well!

3. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    ALL of the notes are out of tune when I play...ROFL

4. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    It's something like 19 out of 37 notes on the trumpet are out of tune, and anything with the first valve is out of tune.

5. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    No, Oh Yeah, I don't think that you are right. :dontknow: That would be slightly ridiculous if every note that you played with the first valve was out of tune. :-? And the post before that (forgot who it was, sorry) was it breklefeuw or something :huh: is right on, that's what I want too... an official list.

6. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I didn't make this up, I read it in this book....

Edit: It actually wasn't a book, it was this thing from a Geyer masterclass, this guy gave it to me.

7. Sungman

Sungman Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2008
    Delaware
    16 notes seems a little...

8. melkor24601

melkor24601 New Friend

Oct 30, 2006
    Kansas, USA
    I just checked my horns ... they all have more than 37 notes. Now I'm trying to calculate how many out-of-tune notes to expect on each ... how else will I find and fix them? :dontknow: Is it a fixed ratio of "good"-to-"bad", or do the "bad" notes congregate at one end of the horn? :roll:

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto

Wasn't me. It's up to the player to make the notes in tune. Each horn has its quirks with tuning. Find out which ones don't quite jive and learn to adjust.

10. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    What I've heard is that trumpets are designed so that each valve by itself is supposed to plays perfectly in tune with the fundamental pitch (i.e first valve is exactly a whole step, second exactly a half step and third exactly 3/2 step). However when you combine valves together the tubing becomes too short so it's sharp. Because of this the third valve was lengthened a tiny bit (because it is rarely used alone) so that Eb and Gb are in tune and the first valve was shortened tiny bit to make lower 1 2 notes like the low E and A in tune. D and C# are still egregiously sharp so you need to move the third slide out to compensate but the middle and higher 1 2 notes are so minutely sharp that most people lip them into tune.

Also tuning is relative since, for major and natural minor scales the third degree needs to be a tiny bit flat and the seventh a bit sharp on to be truly "in tune." Other types of scales and modes have different requirements to be in tune.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009