What are cheaters?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Please excuse me for not knowing but what are and what are considered cheaters for trumpets?:dontknow:

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A small diameter and/or very shallow mouthpiece used for the high range is usually referred to as a cheater. This term is usually used when the cheater is not the player's normal mouthpiece, and he's "cheating" to make the high notes easier, most of the time at the expense of tone and low range.

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Well said Dale!

4. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Define shallow and if this is the mouthpiece I always play on, am I a full time cheater? Does being a cheater diminish me as a trumpet player? What if I like the sound of a shallow cup, if I played that style on a deep cup would I be a reverse cheater? I feel sooooo cheap........;-)

5. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Like...specifically which brand and what size and stuff are cheaters? Are their certain brands just for this or is it more subtle? Please elaborate more. Thanks!

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Guys, please read the posts again. "Cheaters" is a relative term but you're seeking specificity where there's none to be found, I'm afraid. What fits you, fits you be it small or large. What I would consider a cheater for me could be perfect as a fulltime mouthpiece for someone else.

Here's an example: I recently had to play a trumpet solo and I wanted to tack on a high G at the end. I asked Dave Monette to send me something slightly smaller, a B2 , so that I could play that high G and not worry about it beforehand. Well, the B and C 2 series is the most popular mouthpiece Dave sells and lots of people play it including Wynton Marsalis. Is it a shallow mouthpiece? Not by any stretch of the imagination but for MY lips it was shallow enough to give me that edge I sought.

My 1-4 mouthpiece works perfectly in the orchestra but for solo work I wanted something else because I was making demands on myself that were unusual relative to my day-in, day-out gig.

ML

7. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I cheat in a different way -- I used a 3C for years, and now use a 3CW because I like the extra cushion and support it gives me. I don’t find that I have any loss of precise attacks, which is what I worried about for years before making the switch.

In the music that I play I am NEVER asked to play above a G above high C, so I don’t need anything to help me get above that. At my age, and in my physical condition if I got a call asking me to play above a high F (above C) more than a few times I’d tell them to call someone else. Could I use a smaller cup and hit them, yes, but for me I just choose to not play those gigs.

Is it cheating that I looked for something that works for me in my 3CW? I think not – I think it is smart. For someone else smart might be a 13A4A. If you are good enough to play for pay I say do what works for you! If you do a good job the calls will continue to come!

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Whew......that was a close one! If my wife found out I bought that new mouth piece 'cause I wanted to cheat, she'd divorced me on the spot. Now, wonder what it's called when you switch instruments because of the way it changes the sound of a particular song :dontknow: :lol:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Getting a little extra on the side.

ML

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Only you Manny.... Only you.... :lol: