What are essential skills to practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Playa, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Trumpet Playa

Trumpet Playa New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Please don't be difficult and answer this simple question. lol I have asked my trumpet teacher and basically I feel like I have to find out a lot of this stuff myself.

Here's my list of essentials to practice to be a well rounded player. Please give me tips if possible. I'm serious about getting really good and need advice. I practice 4 to 6 hours a day. I used to be bad, but now a lot of people think I'm musically gifted. I'm 18 now and I want to get to professional level. Am I on the right track?

1) Single tonguing
    2) Double tonguing
    3) Triple Tonguing
    4) Sight Reading
    5) The etudes and music I get from lessons.
    6) Slurs, lip trills, trilling. (I hate this ahhh!)
    7) Scales
    8) Transposing (yuck!)
    9) Range
    9) I have a good ear and by request for friends I will play them a song.. I've arranged a few songs for friends actually, and am currently doing that now but I'm playing this song on piano.

This year I want to just focussing on getting as good as possible on these essential skills so I can have a great repertoir. I can play carnival of venice arban, but not godly or anything like that. I want to truly get to the professional level.

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I think a very important part is also the teacher aspect. Going out of your way to find a great teacher, I think, is essential, too... Not to say that your teacher is Be-All and End-All, though. Just making that clear.

:play:

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Long tones, long scale tones, long tones........

4. SCV81

SCV81 Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    Bay Area, Northern Calif.
    -

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    In my youth orchestra (led by Manny himself!), we frequently have to transpose to trumpets in E and F. We might have tried something in Trumpet in A... but Transposing to E and F is really important. Of course, transposing to C is even more essential but I really hope you have that down already if you're thinking about training to be a pro...

We don't use transposed parts because there's lots of typos in them...

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    your list seems pretty good, but how do you practice these? do you use methods and technical books to help? if you are your on the right track.... if not, get some!

transposing is easy, you just know your scales and read a note, 2 notes whatever above. range work is easy, just practice scales, flexibility is easy, just slur scales, tripple toung/ double scales. there's 4 ticked off..... easy! you may hate scales by the end of it, but you will be able to play tunes in Gb easy! and if you go down the jazz route everything is scales and chords for improv :)

7. Trumpet Playa

Trumpet Playa New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Lol, everything is easy? haha!

Im not a very good sight reader. Thats the most frustrating thing to work on. I'm practicing scales and random songs ive never seen to improve. My issue is getting the pitches right. My sense of rythmn isnt bad though.

8. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    do you have an aurban? practice page 142, 143, 144 and 145 for your pitch help, theres some good solos in the back aswel for sight reading :)

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Humility perhaps?

Other than that you seem like you're on the right track. If you actually have a 4 - 6 hour daily routine and you cover everything you listed, you'll be cutting records and touring in no time.

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Sounds like a trumpet player for sure! :-)