What are some good endurance exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Jan 7, 2010.

1. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    Honestly I think the main reason why my chops die out so fast is because I mainly use a Bach Megatone 1C, but I don't really want to use that as an excuse because my old section leader used to use a Bach Megatone 1 1/2C.

So does anyone know any exercises that may help?

2. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    The reason why your chops die out fast is the lack of a sufficient technique in first place.
    The second reason is your muscles not yet being strong enough to keep your embouchure in position.
    The third (and most unimportant) reason is that the 1C does not really help.
    Breathing might be an issue, too.

To me the most efficient way to develope both technique and muscles is mouthpiece buzzing, about one hour a day, everyday, with many short breaks.

Sluring as long as possible on one breath upon the whole range trying to get the most resonant sound possible.
    Let the air do the work and minimize mouthpiece pressure!

Use your 6A4a for mouthpiece buzzing!
    It's the ideal tool for this.
    Because it is so ridiculously small it forces you to get a small aperture which is what you need to gain endurance in the upper register.
    And it forces you to slightly roll in.
    The Kelly Screamer would be a good choice for this too.

Within weeks your endurance will grow strong, even on the 1C.
    Get a medium size mouthpiece for playing though!
    If I read you correct (music-style-wise) I recommend a Bach 7D or 7E.

Don't play the 6A4a because your embouchure is not mature enough to get a decent sound out of it.
    Take it as a mouthpiece buzzing tool only!

Just my point of view.

:play:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Actually the 6A4a is not ridiculously small, I have used one (Jet Tone Bill Chase ) for over 30 years. From low F#s to the top of my range.

It is only small if it doesn't work FOR YOU!

To me, a Bach 7 C is ridiculously large, and a 3C or 1C is a cave!

I also do not "roll in" when I play.

Bottom line is get a teacher or mouthpiece consultant to help you with a mouthpiece.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Lutheran Hymnbook cover to cover in one sitting.

Endurance is won by playing A LOT. You can play longer if you don't play loudly. There is no shortcut. Try and have at least 50% more endurance at home than you need for a concert.

5. tlc9988

tlc9988 New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    Hi,

That is a huge mouthpiece and takes a lot of work to support. I'd suggest a Bach 3C, still gives a big sound.

It be best to take a lesson or two to have your breathing and other aspects looked at.

Your message was a bit short, so can't share any more then a basic warm-up routine. playing tube, thirds, long tones, clark's slowly etc...

Enjoy...

6. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    It does work for me.
    I have one and I play my whole range on it.
    Sound-wise it's not my favourite though.

Compared to what is considered "standard" the 6A4a may well be spoken to as "ridiculously small", since you will barely find something smaller on the market.
    I myself prefer rather small mouthpieces too.
    So no offense intended!

Not even slightly?

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I generally go with issues like this as software related.
    For endurance do lip slurs but do them from soft to loud to soft.
    Use the 7 valve combos and start as low as possible and go as high as possible in one breath. Always maintain a good sound. Don't let yourself get blatty or brassy sounding. You want a warm fat sound. Not loud but full.
    The combinations are: 0, 123, 13, 23, 12, 1, 2. Its the first 7 notes of the chromatic scale starting on C.
    Do this just 5 minutes a day until Easter and I promise you'll be tougher. Here's the downside. This exercise will kick your ass big time. Its a hard exercise to do and even harder to stick with. However, its one of those exercises that quickly separates trumpet players into the cans and can nots.
    ---------------
    Now, about the mouthpiece. (only if you can borrow one)
    Try a Bach 10 1/2 C. I know it sounds like a massive change but if you can try one without spending money, give it a try. Its a great mouthpiece and gives a rich sound in the bottom and is great for high notes.
    ---------------
    Finally, what to do when you are called upon to play a very long gig.
    Be very aware of your volume. Playing at one consistant loud volume will wear you out. Also, when you're not playing(during rests), take the mouthpiece off your lips. Finally, sip an energy drink(gatorade) with a lot of electrolytes.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    That.

9. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Strive to maintain a small aperture setting when you play - using air speed to ascend and descend through lines. Higher notes require faster moving air - most of us try to achieve that by closing the aperture down with our lip muscles... that's basically like taking a squish ball in your hand and squeezing it over and over - it causes fatigue! your mouth muscles are much smaller and fatigue much more quickly...

Rowuk is right - it takes many hours of consistent, conscious, conscientious practice! There is no substitute.

Keith

10. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    Yah, I think I might try this. My old section leader tried to show me something similar like this a while ago, but I completely forgot it.