What are some good endurance exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Jan 7, 2010.

1. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Sounds a lot like Colin's Lip Flexibilities, especially volume 2 expanding range exercises.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    An exercise I've been using for endurance is one I made up - it's called the "10 minute C". Though I think I heard of something similar on one of the forums before.

Basically, set a stopwatch and play a 3rd space C, mp to p, for 10 minutes. Breathe every 30 seconds (take a second or two to do it). Focus on a clear sound, and relaxed breathing and posture. Keep your shoulders down, chest inflated, face relaxed.

I do it at the end of the day, and then spend 5 or 10 minutes playing soft and easy down low to relax everything.

Have fun!

Stuart

3. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I think a lot of players don't think about a cooling off period. I like to do some low clark studies, including pedal tones.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Yes, its similar to Colin's Lip Flexibilities with a few exceptions.
    1)Using the 7 combos is easy to remember, its the first 7 notes of the chromatic scale starting on C
    2)Its a heck of a lot cheaper than the book (around $20.00)
    3)Its a great exercise that'll build abilities a person never thought they had in about one season(3 months) pending they practice it 3 -5 minutes daily.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  5. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I think my Colin was around $5 when I bought it in 1972. :shock:

6. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Like rowuk says, just play a lot. I like to play the Arban interval studies. I play one page straight down and then take a break. This really gets my corners burning...which is good! anything that keeps the horn on your face for an extended amount of time will increase endurance. About the mouthpiece...use what works for you because "big" and "small" is different for every player.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    James Stamp #6, if played through completely non-stop other than the forced break for a couple of beats at the end of each line, is great for building endurance if you play it along with the CD that comes with the book.

8. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Do you mean you'll last longer when playing softly or you should practice softly to build endurance? I thought it was the latter.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    My Chas Colin's book was $7.00 back in 1976 when I was in college. If I remember correctly, I saw it recently for sale for around $20.00.
    Now days I do my own warm ups and exercises which is a mishmosh of many of the books I worked out of as a young person.

10. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    There is so much misinformation about mouthpieces. The only thing that matters in what's right FOR YOU and FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH.

Everyone is different. For example, everyone has different size feet. To say, I'm going wear a size 15 shoe regardless of whether that fits your foot or not is absurd. To play a 1 mouthpiece unless you have a really unusual physiognomy is a trifle absurd.

Now, Byron Stripling played a 1 in college (I have no idea whether he still does) but for him it worked because he has some of the largest lips ever encountered on a human being (there are photos to prove it). I tried a 1 in college until my teacher pulled me aside and said, what the hell are you doing? That thing is a toilet seat, why are you killing yourself?

Bobby Shew says, play the smallest thing you can get away with. Classical cats in general are prejudiced towards large pieces. Faddis plays an absurdly tiny specially made Schilke. It works for him. What is it you're trying to accomplish, what is the structure of your face, jaw and lips and what works best for you given those factors. There is no one answer. Find what works best for you. There is no one who can tell you what that is exceot you, trying a bunch of different things and choosing the best option.