What are some good endurance exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 1stTrumpet, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Foot size is static, embouchure is not.
    So, no valid comparison here.

I started on Bach 1.5C because it felt best in the beginning (which is typical for a beginner: the "bigger the racket" the less shots you would miss).
    Although my anatomy hasn't changed since then I play much smaller mouthpieces by now - because my embouchure changed, my micromotoric system developed.

Once you've watched Cat Anderson's chops and the mouthpieces he played you could have learned that there is no static, fixed relationship between chops size and mouthpiece size.

:-?

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    The mouthpiece could be the problem but, most likely not. Did you play it because your old section leader did? Everybody talks about a 7C because it's a middle of the road size. A place to start.

Lets say the 1-1/2C is the right size for you. The way to last longer is to play. Hymnal or whatever. I use Arban's and Clarke. As long as you are playing why not help technique too. Not a lot of high stuff just play, rest, and play again. On weekends do it all day. Make sure you rest and don't over due it each time you play.

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    The size of your mouth, teeth (unless you're undergoing orthodontia) and lips is not going to change. To say one's physiology is irrelevant and changeable is completely absurd. This is a problem with trumpet pedagogy, there is so much nonsense floating around.

4. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    You got me wrong.
    The size of mouth, teeth (unless you're undergoing orthodontia) and lips is not going to change indeed.
    What you do can change is embouchure.
    There are many ways to play trumpet.
    One has the choice.

One does not really have the choice of shoe size.

The size of mouth, teeth and lips is an aspect, but does not solely predetermine the mouthpiece size.
    It's a matter of adaptation.
    I totally agree.

5. solocornet

solocornet New Friend

Jan 11, 2010
    Gosford, Australia
    Yeah, I agree - lip slurs are the way to go especially appegios. They are more fun and will wear you out faster so you know its doing you good.

6. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    They wear you out faster because most players pinch the aperture closed vs. using the tongue / airspeed. Getting worn out is not always necessarily a good thing!

Keith Fiala

7. solocornet

solocornet New Friend

Jan 11, 2010
    Gosford, Australia
    Yes, you are right Keith, but if played with gentle lips you will tend to get tired from the diaphram work-out.:-)

8. Keith Fiala

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    True - but you can walk further on your legs / feet, than you can on your arms / hands... bigger muscles taking the load...

Cheers -

K

9. solocornet

solocornet New Friend

Jan 11, 2010
    Gosford, Australia
    Keith, you sound like a man of wisdom. Why are you still awake? It's 2AM here.

10. Keith Fiala

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Good question - it must be a musician thing... hahahaha

K