What are the odds?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Alex Yates, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I just had to share this. A very good trumpet player friend of mine came for a holiday visit today. We were futzin' around with C trumpets and mouthpieces, etc. We both primarily play Bach 229/25A configurations, but there were also two Yamahas and a Bach 239/25H in the mix. We were looking at the serial numbers just out of curiousity and found out the Bach Cs were IDENTICAL up to the last number, with the last being a 2 on his and a 9 on mine.....only 7 apart on the assembly line. When he was reading off his serial number and I was looking at mine, I felt like I was reading a lottery ticket. LOL. We didn't buy these horns at the same time or at the same place. We were amazed at the odds and the irony. Cool, huh?

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    WOOOOOOOOOHEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That must have been very special Alex! How Ironic indeed! :cool:

4. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Maybe the two had a "thing" going all through those production weeks...

"Yes my love, maybe, just maybe we will be reunited later in life..." said serial number ending with a 2.

"Oh wouldn't that be great", said serial number ending with a 9.

"I know I will C you again... so don't B flat my love..." said number 2.

...... I recommend you buy the horn from your friend so that they don't get separated again...

Sorry... I'm a Brazilian... it's part of my upbringing to be a hopeless romantic... :lol:

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Rogerio, I think that is so cute! (and there is nothing shameful about being a hopeless romantic. I am certainly a member of the same club.) This person is a very good friend of mine (ten years and counting) and it was really nice to have this ironic thing unfold before our eyes. He went to school with Jim Thompson, Ray Mase, Tim Morrison (rough crowd, eh?) and has been playing professionally for 30 years in an orchestra in the Southeast. (sorry, but I don't want to give out too much information out of respect for his privacy). No wonder our horns sound so good together! It was.....as ANAMendez put it ... "WOOOOOOOOOHEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................" One of those warm, weird, positive freak occurrences.

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Alex,

When were you at Eastman?

Rogerio

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I was there for a Master's degree which is two years. 1994 - 96. Barb and Charlie were still there....as was Chris Martin. I studied with Jim Thompson prior to attending Eastman when he was principal trumpet with the ASO and developing what is now his Buzzing Basics Method. (Just to clarify, since Jim is now teaching at Eastman and Barb and Charlie are now teaching at Northwestern).

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow Chuck! That is a great story! I bet you had goosebumps, eh? Congrats on finding that jewel of a trumpet. :-)

10. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Well, I don';t think it's IRONIC, but it's very cool and what are the odds, huh?????????????
    ... and now for my English lesson. 'Ironic' is soooooo misused.

Usage Note: The words ironic, irony, and ironically are sometimes used of events and circumstances that might better be described as simply “coincidental†or “improbable,†in that they suggest no particular lessons about human vanity or folly. Thus 78 percent of the Usage Panel rejects the use of ironically in the sentence In 1969 Susie moved from Ithaca to California where she met her husband-to-be, who, ironically, also came from upstate New York. Some Panelists noted that this particular usage might be acceptable if Susie had in fact moved to California in order to find a husband, in which case the story could be taken as exemplifying the folly of supposing that we can know what fate has in store for us. By contrast, 73 percent accepted the sentence Ironically, even as the government was fulminating against American policy, American jeans and videocassettes were the hottest items in the stalls of the market, where the incongruity can be seen as an example of human inconsistency.

Carry on! :D
    gregc