What are the TWO best things about the way you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey All

After a great gig on the weekend I was talking with a few friends and we were discussing what was the TWO best things about the way you play.

There are a few basic characteristics that all instrumentalists share, but we Trumpet Players are a special breed because our instruments' sound is created from scratch. Theres so many characteristics about Trumpet Playing, but if you had to choose just TWO, then what are the two best things about your sound. Describe the components of the best part of your sound.

Mine are

1: My tone, which is deep rich and dark that sings in the high regesters
    2: My Technique and Solo abillity, which is creative, tight and flashy

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Great spin-off thread!

For me it would have to be my tone quality and my musical expression. I'll play anything you put in front of me, but I love to play church music and ballads! For both of those fine tone and the ability to express yourself though that hunk of metal you have in your hands is top priority on my list!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The two best things about my playing?

Sound
    Power

I have always been fortunate to have a good sound, and I have always had a lot of power, even as beginner in grade school.

4. dnlrsnbm

dnlrsnbm New Friend

Sep 5, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    the 2 best things about my playing would be
    1 - I blend with any group I play with, big band, quintet,ect.
    2 - I do have power when needed - got that from years of playing in a 12 piece clown band that performed out side. old geezer Dave

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    tone and the ability to manipulate it per the music and the group i am playing with

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    1-Sight Reading - Comes with the job (Military band that has a new set of marches every day)
    2-Technique. Although I must admit there are times in which I let it slide a little. (But a couple hours in the practice room fixes me right up).
    (3)-Endurance - I know I know, only two, but I had to add this as a substitute for either of the first two. :D

Eric

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Endurance. It comes from years of marching.

Creative musicianship. I love taking etudes and seeing how many ways I can do them differently, or taking little studies and varying them as many ways as possible or just making up excercises of my own. Sometimes I can remember them and duplicate them, other times they vanish as quickly as they came.

9. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Big sound.
    Sight reading.

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Piccolo trumpet tone

Sight reading

Other people say that my sound is one of my better features, but I am not often totally happy with it - it is certainly a great deal better than it once was.