What are the TWO best things about the way you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 11, 2005.

1. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Sightreading and Endurance.

I love to sightread, and with all my gigging, I can play for hours.

Warren

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Grrr... ummm... I guess range and power. But there's so much more to trumpet than highnotes... so don't get the wrong impression.

3. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    LOL Manny :-)

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

4. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    There you go Bear! :-) Don't ever diminish your talent. Practise your strengths and work on your weaknesses and turn them into strengths.

Equipment

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's hard to pick the two things about the way that I play that I feel are "best". I originially chose sound and power - and they are stronger aspects of my playing, but some of the following posts have reminded me about some of my other strong points as a player:

I'm a GOOD section player - probably one of my best strengths outside of the horn itself because to me it's more of a mindset than a playing thing.

Passion - while I may not have the necessary technique to play as cleanly as I would like, I would like to think that I play with a lot of fire and passion.

Ear - Again, I would like think that I have a good ear (maybe even two!) and that is what enables me to be a good section player in just about any kind of ensemble from Latin, to big band, to concert band to brass quintet.

Again, great topic.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Hey Bear: :grouphug:

Keep pluggin'!

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    My strongest thing is definitely my sound. I am still working on everything else.

I guess the second thing would be how musically I play or my interpretation of the music. This one is always open to improvement and the one I have been working on the hardest.
    Comparing myself to others might give a different answer but comparing me to me that's it.

8. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Guys :-)

I am just chowing down on the most incredible plate of (Jumbo) shrimp fried rice that my wife just made for dinner. There's so much shrimp that it should be illegal for food to taste this good! My wife is THE most incredible cook making everything (pizza lasagnia, tacos, roast etc) from scratch. When I first met her we went shopping and she bought stuff i didnt even know you could eat. One time she bought flour, yeast tomatoe paste, spices, peporoni cheeze etc, and I asked 'what are you gonna do with that stuff'? Needles to say I had the best Chcago style deep dish pizza I ever had in my life! She cooks everything from scratch...kind of the way we trumpet players create our notes from scratch.

THere is a point here LOL.

I can see I got Patrick thinking, just like this subject got me thinking. I know that asking what are your two best playing qualities is kind of limiting, but the whole point of this post (as my friends pointed out when we initially talked about this subject) is to make you think. Truly think about what your best two playing qualities are. If I said 5 or 10...sorry taking another bite...this food is so good... :-)

Where was I,..oh yes if I said 5 or 10 that wouldn't make you (and me) pick our best 2, and force you to improve the rest. Unlike this plate of shrimp fried rice that has probably 20 shrimp in it, sometimes we have to limit ourselves to force us to really understand what is good and bad about our technique. But now that we have picked our best this can make us think on how to improve on the weaker aspects of our playing. You guys are great. Keep em comin!

Equipment

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

9. Rondawg

Rondawg New Friend

Oct 10, 2005
    Sound and power.

10. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego