What are you "thinking" when you transpose.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Feb 8, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What was wrong with the drums? Why did I switch???:dontknow:

Turtle

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Right, I understand that, but I guess to rephrase my question, what do you "call that ote in your mind" if anything, are you thinking, oh, that's a b, so up one position is a c, but I have to add two sharps, so it's c#, or are are you still thinking b, but played 12, or concert b played 12, or not calling it anything in our mind, it's just in that position on the staff after I move it and add two sharps, which position wit a sharp is 12.

I get the blurred notes thug, bifocals don't help, and even special duty reading glasses seem to aid only to a point as the eye doctor can't seem to get the focal distance quite right for a music stand a trumpet and + a little away from the eyes. Or maybe I have to bring a music stand and trumpet in to his office... Funny thing is, even though I can't always make it out entirely, looking at the page still helps. I can't make out the number of legerdemain lines, but relative position to whatever I Amy playing clues me in I guess.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    seriously, I've worked it out for now, in my mind, like this:

1. Reading music is always in Bb (for now, that's the trumpet I have).

2. Playing by ear without any written music around (to CDs, the radio, movie soundtracks and jamming with friends.) ... I think in C. The fingerings are all different but I try not to mix the two approaches.

3. Transposing is avoided at all costs (for now, when I can get away with it) ... or left to somebody else to do.:-)

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I really only see and think the note printed on the page when I transpose. So when I see a D, I recognize it as a D and know I have to play the line above it. When I am playing the line above, I do not think it is an E, I just play it with 1,2 valves down because the line above D is 1,2 valve fingering. I don't think my brain ever registered the note I just played as an E. Does this make sense? When transposing, I read the note in front of me and organize my fingers to the half step above, instinctively, without thinking of the note I am playing.

The real thought process is needed when I see an E on the page in the key of C and I have programmed my brain to remember I must hit valve 2 (F#) instead of valve 1 (F) as I pre-set my perspective to add 2 sharps to the original key. For the key of concert C, I only have to remember 2 "exceptions": Read an E as valve 2, read a B as valve 1,2.

It's very similar to how I best spoke a foreign language. Rather than analyzing and translating the phrase: Do you understand? I just spoke Siest du? based on experienced recognition which to me meant do you understand rather that the literal translation "Do you see".

Siest du?

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Got it.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think only about the music.

Transposition is learned in the practice room until it is solid. I use different clefs to sightread, not intervals or other fingerings. My first transposition was Eb because my girlfriend played sax and next to the trumpet I played baritone bass clef and tuba. Those bass clef fingerings for Bb instruments are Eb transposition.

The next transposition was C because I wanted to play in the orchestra and in church. 700 hymns were my secret to success 1 step up.

7. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    I'm thinking, "I hate transposing" that out of the way. I play a lot of it by ear. Find the key - check thle line, find the accidentals and ear it. That's why we've practiced scales til we're blue in the face.

Rosta Ruck

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Because you wanted to be a musician?!:lol::lol:

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mnemonic for the order of flats: "Bears, Elephants And Dogs Go Creeping Forward." Sharps: "Fair Cinderella Goes Down And Eats Bugs."
    (Thank you, Mr. Cole!)