What Are Your Favorite Scream Trumpet Moments?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Aug 16, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    THis is probably a shameless thread, and in the grand scheme of things related to trumpet, really isn't very important, but I got to thinking the other day about what my favorite recorded scream trumpet moments are. (I was listening to Maynard, "The Spirit of St. Frederick at the time.) I'll share some of mine in no particular order: (many of them are Maynard, of course)

Maynard, "Give it One" - The screamed note right before the sax solo
    Stan Kenton (John Harner), "Send in the Clowns" - The G in the trumpet solo
    Maynard, "The Spirit of St. Frederick" - The F right before the shout chorus and after the guitar solo
    Maynard, "MacArthur Park"(MF Horn version) - The whole section right after the sax solo
    Maynard, "MacArthur Park"(MF Horn version) - The A. (Need I say more?)
    Tonight Show Band "In the Mood" - That screamed dubba whatever right toward the end of the tune. (Not sure who is actually screaming that one - probably Doc)
    Tonight Show Band, "Airmail Special" - the Last note
    Tonight Show Band, "Stardust" - that whole section where Doc is just wailing
    Maynard, "Country Road" - the whole section where he comes in toward the end
    Maynard, "Birdland" - That screaming G right before the rhythm section break
    Buddy Rich, "West Side Story" - The dubba C - not sure who was playing lead for that.
    Bill Chase, "Handbags and Gladrags" - The screamed Gs at the end of the tune that just keep going and going and going
    Bill Chase, "So Many People" - The screamed stuff at the end of the tune

Those are a few of mine and for all of the ones that I have listed, I'm certain that there are a bunch I've forgotten. Feel free to either agree, or list some others - I'm always game to find a couple new recordings! :D

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    No one has anything to add to this? Come on guys and gals! I can't be the only one who really enjoys hearing a great lead player or soloist screaming and nailing it down.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Bill Chase, "Hades", Double C.

What else can be said?

Greg

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Wayne Bergeron on "O Holy Night" :shock: :shock: :shock:

5. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Intimacy of the Blues, played by the Louis Bellson band in 1975.
    - two trumpeters (one of which is cat anderson, the other i am not sure ... possibly bobby shew?) going ballistic. I reckon its the epitome of tasteless trumpet screaming! makes me giggle like a kid in a candy store every time i hear it. :D

also
    ... my latest fave - wayne bergeron on laura off his (new?) album.
    ... and when i first caught 'the bug' - the first notes of James Morrisons "Snappy Doo" album.
    ...and countless movie soundtracks - the incredibles (bergeron, i believe), and all the james bond themes (derek watkins), for starters.

so many to chose from.... i look forward to hearing of everyone elses responses!

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Speaking of the epitome of tasteless trumpet screaming...

Maynard on La Fiesta :lol: It may be tasteless, but I LOVE it! :D

7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

First Brass ..

Either Derek Watkins or Allan Botschinsky at the start of track 6 - Toot Your Roots!!

:)

8. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    Cat Anderson's solo in Satin Doll (the duke's 70th birthday concert), Cat Anderson's last soli in Aint' Misbehavin' (it's a sextet version I believe for Ellington which includes two nice octave slides within... oh about two bars, I think it's one of the earlier versions...), Cat Anderson in Flying Home (this one has the entire trumpet section doing solos leading up to Cat screaming some high stuff at the end), Doc Severinson (sp?) in Flying home, and Canadian Brass (don't know the player) the final note (I think it might be a double g although I'm not really sure, haven't looked into it) of their Dixieland version of Amazing Grace.
    Pots
    (Sorry, I'm a bit of a Cat Anderson geek of when he played with the Ellington band, so any songs where he's squealing with the Duke is a good one)

9. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    I found the list of people on the album to be: Blue Mitchell, Snooky Young, Cat Anderson, Don Menza, Pete Christlieb, Bill Byrne, Nat Pierce, Ross Tompkins, and others...

So it's probably Cat Anderson and... Snooky Young maybe (???). He's the only other trumpet name that I recognized me being the newbie that I am... and I know from a recording I have with him and the Tonight Show Band (playing Flying home) that he can hit some relatively good notes up there, so he might be the other squealer. Of course, if someone recognises someone else's name who is a squaler on that list who sounds more likely by all means correct me, cause I frankly don't know that much about this type of stuff...
    Pots

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Maynard on Hey There Double D is best on the "one more once" ending
    (third X in other words)

Also his first note on the same tune. I don't remember if that cut is a great one but the one on his Roulette recording is smokin'.
    And the Double C entrance on Frame for the Blues.

Cat playing Birth of the Blues YEAH MAN!

Both of these are on the Trumpet Stuff page which is down for moving to a different server I believe.

I could name a loads of them. Chases Hades is really something to behold but it is obiviously engneered a bit.

Don't forget Faddis' Triple Ab on Into the Faddisphere or Maynard's Triple C on Ole.

Favorite live moment was hearing Maynard playing Double C on Hey Jude when the sound system went out and he blew the house down with an acoustic Double C.

Greatest orchestral moment was hearing Frank Kaderabek bury the whole Detroit Symphony completely in Heldenleben on the climatic High C at the end of the Battle Scene. You couldn't hear anything but Frank. It was phenomenal.