What Are Your Favorite Scream Trumpet Moments?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Aug 16, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave Stahl on "The Scream Machine" is pretty awesome too.

2. sonic

sonic New Friend

Nov 7, 2003
    Here is an obscure one-- a self-titled album from about 1970 by a blues-rock band called A.B. Skhy. The band was fairly good, but it was the horns that made this memorable. Side 1 (yes, kids, real records have sides) opens with You Upset Me. The horns kick it off with Bud Brisbois playing lead. The horn section is tight and Bud soars and screams above them. The second side has a pretty lame instrumental tune called Camelback, but again Bud's lead lines on the melody, taking it up first one octave and then another, are worth a listen.

3. Bill Bryant

Bill Bryant New Friend

Jan 26, 2005
    South Dakota
    Doc -- The More I See You

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Screaming just for the sake of screaming? I´d have to say then, "Those that went unplayed or unheard."

The truly musical ones never seem to stick out as "screaming" but rather nicely played, very high notes that fit the context of the music.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Toots, as you can see, I have no Jon Faddis on my list in my initial post. That's because while he certainly can nail it in the stratosphere, I have never really liked what he does with it when he's up there.

Maynard on the other hand....well, I probably don't need to say anymore about that. :D

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Toots,

Sometimes a bit of ostentatious high-noting fits within the context of a piece!

Two more Cat Anderson moments:

"Groove Blues," off the Louis Bellson "Explosion" album that includes the "Intimacy of the Blues" track mentioned earlier in this thread. Cat takes a great ride chorus on "Groove Blues."

"Cottontail," on "Duke Ellington Presents." A sax feature, the band plays a very fast ascending background figure about halfway through and Cat plays the line up an octave (or two), nailing every note.

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Check the ending of the film "The Anatomy of a Murder." It doesn't get much higher than this.
    Wilmer

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The first notes in the Davis-Evans "Porgy and Bess" album shocked me so much that I thought my turntable had gone haywire. I heard it on vinyl the first time :cool: Ernie Royal, the guy in my avatar, nails that sucker!
    Wilmer

9. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Someone mentioned First Brass!!!! Anyone know where I can get there recordings??

I used to have a cassette that has long since passed away, been looking for ages for more recordings.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The cadenza and final moments of "A Song For You" from Rhapsody for Now, with Doc Severinsen. It may well be the most musical scream moment in trumpet history. He makes that horn talk like Pops did in West End Blues.

ML