What are your favorite trumpet songs you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetsAreFun, Sep 3, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    If you love "Phantom of the Opera,"you will love Puccini's"The Girl of the Golden West." There are many similarities :roll:
    Wilmer

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Wilmer,

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for chiming in!

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Wilmer,

I got a kick out of your post. Years ago when Phantom first came out, I went to hear it in LA with my family. I bought the soundtrack and listened to these tunes over and over. My Mom bought the piano parts and we would play through them all the time.

Then we went to Santa Fe to hear Girl of the Golden West. My jaw just about hit the floor when I heard how much he had borrowed from Puccini. I guess if you're going to borrow complete tunes, it's good to take them from someone that really knows music!

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

And if you like Star Wars, and John Williams' other movie music, you'll like Mahler 6 and a host of other stuff by Mahler, Shostakovitch, Prokofieff and others.

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Dimitri Tiomkin publicly acknowledged at an Academy Awards show his debt to Prokofieff, Shostakovitch and host of other composers.
    Wilmer

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

The Green Leaves of Summer was one of my favorite tunes when my dad was teaching me how to transpose and read lead sheets.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hmmmm....I love to play the second movement from Tomasi "Tryptique", the opening trumpet solo to Schmidt Symphony No. 4, the lyrical solo from Mahler 5 and the "Blumine", Reiche Fanfare on piccolo, Piece en forme de Habanera (Ravel), excerpts from Shostakovich Piano Concerto, especially the end - as fast as I can :D ya hoooooo, second movement of the Haydn Concerto on my Eb, "Chocolate" from Nutcracker (any time of year), and the slow solo from "American in Paris"....and ya' know? I actually enjoy doing Stamp. :oops:

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah I sure do Bill,

I have a John Williams Trumpet solo book that I bought a year or so ago and I like to play some of that stuff too.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em coming!

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Bill,

I couldn't help but notice you live near where I spent the first 36 years of my life! Greetings from a downriver rat!

I moved from Flat Rock, Michigan to Hamilton, Georgia no work! Seems to be a real problem back home in Michigan.