What are your music goals for the new year?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Dec 17, 2009.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Practice more, increase endurance, add maybe about a 3rd to my usable range (currently to about a high C, give or take), and just overall improve so I can rip it in jazz and parade band competition this spring. Oh yeah, wind ensemble too, because that's...important?

I was left big shoes to fill as lead trumpet in our school, and they're still just a little loose.

2. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    Good thread. Trumpetwise, my goal is to continue my comeback (I'm two months into it) which means an hour a day of practice minimum. I'll see where it goes from there.

3. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    Study and improve my improvisational skills and articulation.
    And just maybe grace the faddisphere?

4. kwgbright

kwgbright New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    Escondido, CA
    Great Post!

As a brand new player, I'd like to develop solid tone, get rid of the breathy sounds coming out of my horn and being able to play some Christmas Duets with my 9 and 11 yr. old band geeks.

I'll be getting there by practicing every day for 30 to 45 mins and having at least 6 private lessons. It's going to be a good year! Happy Christmas every one! Have an amazing new year!

Aloha!

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Some of these goals I never even thought of, keep the new year goals coming guys!

6. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Be accepted into the Faculty of Music at the U of Manitoba.

Improve my sound and especially my intonation.

Improve my improvisational skills.

7. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Keep striving to get to a point where im satisfied and confident to my ability to improve.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The same as for the last 43 years:

Give me this day my daily routine

Practice what I preach

a German phrase "dem Werk gerecht". That means do justice to each piece that you play. I am not talking about lynch justice!

Teach that music is a subset of the entire human state. Without a holistic view, too much is missing.

Continue to cut through the BS sometimes posted here at TM.

9. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I think my goal is to play less music and take my GCSEs seriously... but it's not going to happen, so I'll just do some ones that I might be able to do!

In no particular order:

1) Tonguing, all types, especially triple, and keeping double tonguing going for longer.

2) Nice crisp attacks on notes, more accenting and generally nicer attacks.

3) Playing more smoothly and making a nicer tone, add vibrato.

4) Stronger and more penetrating upper register as well as a slightly greater range then I have now, maybe pushing on a strong G above high C.

5) Playing more out of the Arban, and spend more time perfecting pieces instead of choosing something that is really hard, and stop work on it when I can play it through.

6) Practice more cornet and classical music, rather then only picking up the cornet to play in bands, and playing classical pieces a few times a year.

7) Going on a mouthpiece Safari for the trumpet and the cornet, and use a deeper trumpet piece, and a shallower cornet piece.

I think 7 targets is enough, though if anybody puts any targets that I feel appropriate for myself, I will definitely be adding them!