What are your thoughts about this trumpet contest.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Feb 10, 2008.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Ok, I'm sorry that most of you misunderstood what I was trying to get at. After re-reading my post, I can defenately see how you guys thought I was saying all negative about this trumpet contest, as after re-reading, that was pretty much how it read. It even looked after reading it that any reader would be much liklier to get what you guys got out of it than what I was trying to say. However, this wasn't what I was trying to say. If you're willing to listen, I'll explain how I got off.

First off all, when I said I was against it, what I was really trying to say was that it wouldn't be a good idea for ME to actively invest large amounts of time in it, however, more power to any of those who do. As far as when I said it wasn't right giving it away in a stupid contest, I had intended to say that I personally wouldn't feel right about winning something like that in a simple contest (stupid came out) as I already have a very good trumpet (Xeno) and there are others that need it more than me, but more power to whoever does end up with it, (I forgot to mention that part).

As for the angry faces, I've only been here for 3 weeks, I haven't had enough time to know that all of you are very nice people, not realizing that you guys were just in it for the fun and would be happy for whoever wins. I really haven't had enough time to get to know you. Before I was here, occaisionally I had been on other forums where everyone there is jerk, and I guess I had judged you guys a bit too early based on prior forum experiences. I'm really sorry about that. As far as the cheating, it had been intended as a huge joke as it was just flat out rediculous lmao, I guess you guys seemed to have taken it seriously not realizing it was a joke. About me thinking about cheating was also a joke, I guess I had forgotten that when others can't hear your tone-of-voice, they can definitely take it the wrong way, me going to those measures to magically win it, I thought it was hilarious to imagine at the time I was typing it.

My true thoughts on the contest are all positive, I think it is great that they are putting this on and that someone will win one of them. I salute everyone's efforts for their involvement in this contest. The only thing that worried me was that someone would spend hours on end trying to beat this contest and be truly let down when they lose which would create angry faces, but after getting to know you guys better, I'm relived to know that this won't be happening. I really apologize that through my ignorance my post had said the exact opposite of what I meant, I had no intentions of shooting down this contest. It's kind of ironic how sometimes things can come out entirely differently than you intended. I guess I'll have to adapt to explicit writing styles. The main purpose though was so that I could just get your guy's thoughts about this contest. Yes, this topic isn't necessary and had turned out to be a complete catastrophe. Sorry, all. Thanks NYTC for putting this on, I hope you will do so as well in future events. That 450 views is going to hurt.:-(

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  2. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    Well you don't have to participate then if you don't like the contest so much. I know you are entitled to your opinion but in my opinion, I think this post was not necessary. Felix who developles these magnificant horns and the admins are going out of their way to give everyone on this site a chance to win a horn and you say that the contest is stupid? You then proceed to tell us that this is going to create angry and harsh feelings to the potential winner. You don't even know us so how can you even begin to type that. As far as I am concerned everyone on this site are great people and will be happy for whoever wins the horn. I know I will. Then you talk about one of us planting a virus??? WTH. Are you kidding me. This contest did not have to happen and you did not have to shoot it down as you have done. In my opinion this is a great contest and I think that it is great that we all have an equal oppurtunity to win a great horn.

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Ok, maybe I was a bit off, I do think it could potentially have problems. I don't expect anyone to cheat, and I think it's great that they are putting it on, more power to them. I'm just against investing all my time waiting up all night try to do this, and I don't want others to do the same. All those who participate, more power to them. I just don't like the idea that some users could become really upset if they put too much time in. I guess you're right about this post becoming unneccessary, but my main purpose for it was to find out what everyone thought of it, not argueing with my opinion.

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I'm not smart enough to understand the rules, so I don't play.

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Are you trying to be funny, Eeviac? I suspect yes. :)

6. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    ya I am really pissed there is a chance for me to win a trumpet. how dare these people come up with such an idea :roll: thanks for letting us know you are a jerk and would cheat if you could :lol:

Schwab likes this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If a manufacturer decides to be generous, why criticize him? The rules are clear, he gets a month of advertising for the cost of a trumpet. Some lucky person gets a great horn. Trumpetmaster.com gets more traffic. Actually there are only winners. Nobody has to spend any money to qualify and nobody has to take any risk whatsoever.

Worrying about political correctness is one of the worst things that has happened to society. Instead of common sense, worrying about hurting some over sensitized persons feelings has reduced so many things to the lowest common denominator. I consider this to be an incredible waste of the human state.

For those of us that have trouble with this, just go somewhere else for a month. Nobody is forcing anyone to participate. I post quite a bit here and think Felix builds fantastic trumpets but am not participating (my choice), not because I do not want the horn, but because of my profile, there could be the stupid charge of unfairness. I will probably buy a new C-Trumpet next year and will be looking hard at Felixes horns before spending any money. I may end up buying a rotary C though, I am not yet sure.

The contest is a thing and cannot be stupid according to Websters definition. People that cannot manage their own feelings should not project their inferiority on others or things. I have enough confidence in Felix and trumpetmaster that if there were manipulation, they would solve the problem in a fair and considerate way.

Criticizing the opportunity but playing along demonstates your hippocracy. Your open willingness to cheat the system shows your lack of sportsmanship. You deserve to be disqualified in my opinion.

My recommendation: get a life, preferably somewhere else!

MJ and tatakata like this.
  8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    While this contest doesn't require as much creativity as the last one, it is still incredibly generous of NYTC to go out of their way to spend all that time on a horn and give it away for free.

You can't just 'plant' a virus. Viruses have gotten false reputations because of movies and the media. If your computer doesn't work right it probably isn't a virus, and they don't do the things they do in movies. If someone were to attack the site it wouldn't be through a virus, it would be done to the server the colo center they get hosting through or something similar.

Anyways, my hat goes off to NYTC for doing this.

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I'm not trying to be funny, I truly don't understand the rules.

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    While I don't completely echo trumpet_man's sentiments, I do wish the contest involved some kind of creativity. That having been said, if someone could make a program to automatically post after a post has been made, that would be creative. Although, if two people did it, we'd have problems...